WIFI drops after 5-10 minutes

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by MikeSD, May 2, 2017.

1. MikeSD

MikeSD New Member

Anyone having issues with networking? my wifi keeps dying after 5-10 minutes and I have to force a reconnect every time. For testing with monitor attached that isn't much of an issue, but eventually I will be running headless and only vnc in when needed. I have tried turning off power management but that doesn't seem to help. I can't seem to find anything in the /var/log/syslog or dmesg either to point to a cause. Running lubuntu 17.04.

Thanks,

Mike

2. Flint

Flint New Member

Might be due to power issues, I put a usb wifi in mine, but it pulled too much power and kept resetting.

3. MikeSD

MikeSD New Member

This isn't a USB wifi, I forgot to specify but it is the Intel wifi/bluetooth module that came as part of my reward. I was going to try USB later today. Thanks for the info, I will see how it reacts with USB, hopefully don't have to buy a powered USB adaptor, that was the one thing that used to bug me about the older generation Raspberry Pi.

Mike

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Did you try Ubuntu 16.04 as recommended by Udoo?

tuxun and Andrea Rovai like this.
  5. MikeSD

MikeSD New Member

No, but this is based on ubuntu 17.04, so this is even newer so I would expect the drivers to be more complete and up to date. I chose lubuntu so all the bloat of that gawd awful desktop doesn't need to be installed. I prefer running lxde minimal desktop, specially since this will be headless at some point. I will test 16.04 and see how it does.

6. mkopack

mkopack Member

Also, which port on the wifi module did you plug the antenna into? Could be you're getting transient signal interference from BT or if you have the antenna in the AUX port it might not have enough Wifi Signal strength to maintain the connection.

7. tuxun

tuxun Member

well, i cant get my wifi USB dongles (allfrom realtek) working on ubuntu 17.04 neither, i have to stick with ubuntu 16.04 (advice: if you want upgrade your ubuntu version: stay at 16.10 maximum if you need wifi) :)
    Under 17.04, all seems works fine, it scan networks, except... it cant connect to them(maybe a firmware bug)

Update appreciated from other, when i installed ubuntu i choose to install the proprietary drivers.

8. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

We've just tried Ubuntu 17.04 and the wireless is stable, we have no Wi-Fi problem.
    Maybe the problem is related to Lubuntu.

tuxun and waltervl like this.
  9. Kilrah

Kilrah Member

Also working fine on Ubuntu 17.04 here.

tuxun, waltervl and Andrea Rovai like this.
  10. tuxun

tuxun Member

Thanks for answers :)

which wifi key? the m2 one? which vendor? tested with livecd or after installation? with proprietary driver installed or not? and finally when you say it works... you mean succesfully get connected to AP?

Sorry for that assault of question, but I'm not a linux beginner, and its a wifi linux well known dongle... even if i didnt tested it on another pc under 17.04. (maybe the bug is here and come from ubuntu, hi, debian freaks ;) )

I at first thought it was a power problem (I was using the 2amp Udoo Quad good old one), but since, I got a 3amp PSU and it still bugs under 17.04 (X64).

I also repeat that its realtek usb dongles (rtl3070, rtl88xx,etc, which works under 16.04 LTS, 16.10 (on the same udoo) but seems to stop to work under 17.04.
    (and in fact, it looks like they work, but they cant success to connect my usual APs)

EDIT: solution? https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comments/63853z/warning_after_upgrade_to_1704_any_realtek_wifi/

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  11. MikeSD

MikeSD New Member

I dropped back to ubuntu 16.04.02 and it seems to work much better. The only issue I have now is I cannot ping, vnc or ssh the box when only wifi is active. If I have ethernet cable plugged in,then all is well. I can ssh/vnc using the address assigned to wireless device. It will continue to work for a period after unplugging the ehternet cable as well, but it has to be plugged in at boot time. Very strange... I am going to try and bump up to ubuntu 17.04 with the proprietary drivers and see if it works better.

MIke

12. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

I'm finding that under Debian Stretch and the LXDE desktop, WiFi and Ethernet are both difficult to keep connected/functional.

I have to run 'ping' on an xterm and disconnect and reconnect via the Wicd Network Manager plug-in to boot it into operational status. Once that is done, as long as the 'ping' process continues to run, I'm connected to the Internet.

Debian Stretch (testing) system

Operating System: GNU/Linux
    Kernel Name: Linux
    Kernel Release: 4.9.0-2-amd64
    Kernel Version: #1 SMP Debian 4.9.18-1 (2017-03-30)
    Machine Hardware Name: x86_64
    Processor Type: Intel Celeron N3160
    Hardware Platform: Udoo X86
    Network Node Hostname: udoox86