Has anyone tried to install Windows, Linux and Android together?

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Mecki, May 6, 2017.

1. Mecki

Mecki New Member

My idea is to install Win10 on M.2 SSD and Linux and Android on eMMC. (32GB)
    A good idea?

Is that possible?
    Choice of boot?

Or too problematic?

What would have to be considered?

2. Sjonno

Sjonno New Member

I did this. I installed first linux 16.04 on eMMC (booted from USB stick). Then Android x86 6.0 r3 on eMMC from within Linux (installed in folder within Linux, so also on eMMC).
    Then I installed windows 10 on M2 SSD (booted from USB stick).
    I used my linux USB stick again to boot into Live linux to fix booting seqence.
    Linux and Windows 10 are working fine. Android gets stuck at boot at the moment, but I'm pretty sure i did something wrong while adding Android manually to my Grub2 custom menu.

Best way would be to install Android at last and start with Linux or Windows.

waltervl likes this.
  3. Mecki

Mecki New Member

Hi,
    thank you for your answer.

Why Android in Linux? So OS in OS?

I would split the eMMC into two partitions. One for Linux, one for Android.

I would like that the Udoo normally automatically in Win10 boots.
    Only when I select in the boot phase other, he should then boot into Linux or Android. So I imagine that.
    Just, how do i get it?

Many Thanks

Mecki

PS: Android is totally new to me!

4. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

If you look at the Installation instructions on the Android x86 project you will see that they state that Android is quite happy to co-exist on a partition with another OS (running from a folder). It might therefore be easier to not bother with a separate partition (although that is also an option). I expect that having a single partition for both Linux and Android will make more efficient use of the space on the eMMC drive. That is what I am going to try setting up for myself this weekend.

5. Mecki

Mecki New Member

Ok, I understand that. The reasoning is, of course, also good.
    Can not just imagine at the moment how to start Android then....
    First Linux and then Android in it ???

strange und funny :)

Edit: And there are no problems for Linux? And also no for Android?.... Really strange o_O

6. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

As I understand it you get a boot time menu (run via Grub) that allows you to select the OS you want to run. I will confirm that when I get mine up and running.

7. Mecki

Mecki New Member

Grub is Linux, or?
    I think i need it from Windows, because this would be my first OS.
    Only comes that automatically if you install another OS, and does it work with Android?

8. Daniel Hrynczenko

Daniel Hrynczenko New Member

Planning to try windows 7 and Ubuntu on ssd and android on eMMC as soon as I get a SSD :)
    I need win 7 for navigational programs that unfortunately are not working in compability modes on win10 (also I managed to get hold of a win7 license for peanuts) , will dualboot the ssd with ubuntu and also try some navigational software on android x86

my plan is to have one grub installed for android on the eMMC and one on the ssd as main drive.. the reason is if the ssd-breaks I want to be able to boot from the eMMC instantly,
    would first install androidx86 on the emmc, then install and partition the ssd, install win7 and after that Ubuntu

Regards,
    Daniel

9. Mecki

Mecki New Member

Then tell us your experience when you try it.
    Thank you for your info, that's interesting.
    Mecki