Problem booting from USB

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by ImLagging, May 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

I'm looking to test several surveillance camera software (Zoneminder, Motion, Bluecherry, etc) to see how they run on the Udoo and to see how many cameras the Udoo can manage. I've successfully installed Fedora 25 without issues from USB. But I'm now trying to install a custom Ubuntu distro that's provided by Bluecherry.

I can install from the .iso in a VM, but if I put it on a USB flash drive, I get an error that there's no OS to install. I don't remember the exact wording of the error, but I can get that when I'm home. I've tried 2 different flash drives (2.0 and 3.0) to no avail. I know how to copy a .iso to a flash and did it with Fedora.

During boot, I select the Legacy USB option in the boot manager. I did download the same version of Ubuntu directly from Ubuntu's website, but I haven't had a chance to test it. I was wondering if maybe there's a setting in he BIOS that I missed. Currently, I have Fedora on the SSD, nothing on the eMMC (yet, but I was going to install this Bluecherry on it) and no SD card installed.

Any thoughts?

2. Derek52

Derek52 New Member

Try booting your bluecherry usb drive on a different computer. You may just have a problem with the .iso. I am running Ubuntu on my laptop and downloaded a linux .iso that ran fine in a .VM but no matter what I tried I could not create a bootable usb from that .iso. I tried creating the usb 2 or 3 different ways and tried booting it with 4 computers. It was Ubuntu based, but older Ubuntu, I have no idea if that had anything to do with it. Maybe Bluecherry built your .iso off an older edition of Ubuntu and you're running into a similar issue.

3. Göran Andersson

Göran Andersson New Member

I had the same problem when I used my Mac with Unetbootin to create a bootable/Ubuntu USB stick , but using a Windows 10 PC instead it worked.

4. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

@Göran Andersson: I'm using the command line and the dd utility on my Mac. I've done this successfully many times. I can switch to Linux and try again. I have Windows in a VM, but I would have to find an app copy the .iso.

@Derek52: I'll try that. This one is built on 14.04 LTS,so I would think it's new enough to not cause issues. I did download a clean 14.04 to test, so we'll see how that goes as well.

5. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

Well, it turned out to be the .iso. Won't work on any computer if I put it on a flash drive. Strange that it works when I install via VM. I re-downloaded, so that's not the issue. I even tried re-creating it off of a vanilla Ubuntu 14.04 .iso, and still had the same problem. I guess I'll complain to the company that created it.

Thanks for your help.

waltervl likes this.