Solved: Lost the ability to boot from sdcard

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by MikeSD, May 8, 2017.

1. MikeSD

MikeSD New Member

Initially I was able to install OS using microSD card, but it doesn't seem to show up in the list of devices when I go into the bios. Not sure if this was a result of dropping back to ubuntu 16.04.02 or updating the bios to v1.02. Is there some setting I might have messed up or maybe need to be configured after bios update. How do I restore ability to boot from SD?

Thanks,

Mike

2. bodgyuk

bodgyuk New Member

Your SD Card might be showing up as a UEFI device (mine is), have you changed the firmware settings where you can select UEFI, Legacy or Dual? It might be worth changing it to dual if it isn't that and see if the SD Card reappears.

3. MikeSD

MikeSD New Member

I think it was the linux image that was the issue. When I put the SD card in a USB reader and tried to install, it threw an error saying something was missing. So I burned a different distro on the SD card and rebooted it showed up under EFI boot options again and I could proceed with with installing that distro using SD card. Weird, the one that was giving the trouble was ubuntu 17.04 downloaded directly from their site, I was also able to see all the files on the SD after boot. So going to re-download and give it another try. Also, I used both win32diskImager and unetbootin to make the image, so it appears it might be something a miss with the iso file.

Mike

4. MikeSD

MikeSD New Member

Confirmed issue with iso file. Downloaded ubuntu 17.04 again and used win32diskimager to burn to SD card. Reboot and now can see boot from SD under the EFI options.

Mike