M.2 SSD Standards

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by NerdOfEpic, May 9, 2017.

1. NerdOfEpic

NerdOfEpic New Member

I've realized over the last 6 weeks that purchasing a 2260 form factor M.2 SSD is essentially impossible. The M.2 SSD industry as a whole has apparently standardized on the 2280 form factor. That leaves the choice to provide the space for a 2260 on the UDOO x86 board to be a bit problematic.

I've attempted twice now to purchase an appropriate SSD for the board over the last 6 weeks. My first order was simply canceled by the Amazon seller without me getting a vote (they couldn't get the item). My second order for a similar item from a different seller on Amazon was supposedly in stock, supposedly shipped, and never arrived. Eventually after grumbling about it they claimed it was back ordered and the order was also canceled.

All the big sites that you'd expect to be able to locate a 2260 SSD on are out of stock. (NewEgg, Amazon, UDOO Shop, etc.) The reason as mentioned before was that no one even makes a 2260 anymore since everyone has gone with the 2280 size. This means you can't get them, and if you can find them at all, they are WAY more expensive than their 2280 counterparts.

This leaves me asking the community at large the following questions:
    • Has anyone found a reliable source for 2260 SSDs?
    • Does anyone know of brands of 2260 SSDs that I haven't found? (I've found the Transcend one and the Micron one, but you can't even find the Micron one for sale anywhere.)
    • Has anyone come up with a stable way to attach a 2280 SSD in the spot for the 2260 SSD on the UDOO x86 board?
    • Is UDOO going to make another board someday (yes, I realize this one has just come out) that has a standard size SSD spot?
    Any help anyone can offer on this would be greatly appreciated. After all, who wouldn't want to get 6x better performance out of their storage (over SD Cards)? Thanks in advance.

Markus Laire likes this.
  2. thE_29

thE_29 Member

Haha.. Discovered yesterday the same problem.. No one has 2242 or 2260 to sell. just some strange brand and/or >256GB. According to Amazon I should get my Transend 2240 64GB in 2-3 weeks.. We will see ^^

But yeah, I also checked if it was available to buy it from a local store, but nope.. No one has it.

3. Sjonno

Sjonno New Member

Just use a 80mm SSD. It sticks out a little, but doesn't bother me. In case you are going to move your udoo a lot, secure it somehow. There is a user who made a 3d printable part. Use search to find it.

4. NerdOfEpic

NerdOfEpic New Member

Yeah, I saw some places that had the 512GB SSD in stock, but they wanted like $370 for it. I wasn't willing to put a $370 hard drive into a $260 computer. Something about that just sort of hurt my feelings.

5. FirstGenGeek

FirstGenGeek Member

I think it's the smaller capacity models (32gb, 64gb) that are now limited. I can find several 128gb and up M.2 2260 models for sale on Amazon and eBay. It does look like Transcend and Micron are the only remaining 2260 manufactures; Crucial, SanDisk and Samsung appear to only produce 2280's.

UDOO itself sells the 128gb capacity model at very competitive price ($71 USD).

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  6. thE_29

thE_29 Member

7. NerdOfEpic

NerdOfEpic New Member

My first order was for 128gb, and my second was for 256gb. Both eventually canceled for the lack of stock. Thus, I can say with absolute sureness that the high capacity ones are gone too, unfortunately.

Thanks for the link to the 3D printed part! If that does the job that makes the prospect of finding a B-key SSD vastly easier and cheaper.

8. thE_29

thE_29 Member

Well on Amazon.DE the 2260 128GB was currently for 60€ to get, but up to 1 month.. The 2242 128GB was suddenly in stock for 74€ and I just bought it and canceld the 64gb..
    Hopefully i will get it in 1-2 days :)

9. NerdOfEpic

NerdOfEpic New Member

Good luck. Mine said "In Stock" and never came in. 3 weeks of waiting for the 1st attempt, then 3 more weeks for the second attempt. They even went so far as to claim it had shipped so I couldn't cancel the order. I honestly hope you have better luck than I did.

I ended up ordering the plastic adapter mentioned above and a 256gb 2280 SSD from newegg for $80.

10. FirstGenGeek

FirstGenGeek Member

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  11. NerdOfEpic

NerdOfEpic New Member

That Amazon link at the end of your list is the exact place I placed my 2 failed orders from. Even for the 2 sizes mentioned. I can't recommend it. The stock of those items are nothing but lies.

12. allwet

allwet New Member

About a month ago I ordered a Transcend 2260 512 GB SSD from B&H Photo in New York in anticipation for my UDOOX86 arrival (UDOO came last week). If interested, they still have some in stock. Here's the part number:
    B&H # TRSD512MT600 MFR # TS512GMTS600 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com). I did notice that current price is up $35 from what I paid a month ago - shows supply & demand rules. I did not check to see if they had other storage sizes. I did notice that the largest SSD in 2260 form factor is 512GB. Hope this helps.

13. thE_29

thE_29 Member

Already got the tracking number.. Maybe I will have mine tomorrow. And my order was direct Amazon.. Not warehouse.

14. FirstGenGeek

FirstGenGeek Member

I contacted Transcend Sales and they replied, " There are no plans to discontinue our MTS600 M.2 series SSD's. There is a global shortage of NAND going around. The lead-times are pushed out 6-8 weeks from manufacturers to distribution, so if you need SSDs please order them from your vendor and be prepared to wait. In Q3 the supply strains may ease, but lead-times will still be long and many retailers may not have stock for some time."

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  15. mkopack

mkopack Member

Yeah, if that's the case then you have to expect that the manufacturers are going to put what limited NAND stock they have into the products that sell the most (2280 form factor).

16. FirstGenGeek

FirstGenGeek Member

More likely going into the more profitable smartphones and PCIe SSD's at this point.

17. FirstGenGeek

FirstGenGeek Member

ccs_hello likes this.
  18. tuxun

tuxun Member

19. FirstGenGeek

FirstGenGeek Member

You can also cut and drill a simple piece of acrylic sheet mounted with spacers. The problem I had was it looked like my little UDOO X86 was sticking its tongue out at me. :)

Hang in there a couple of weeks, it looks like the NAND "shortage" is ending sooner than thought, and 128GB and larger 2260 SSD's should start showing-up at much lower prices.