How do make the x86 headless

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Frank Applin, May 12, 2017.

1. Frank Applin

Frank Applin New Member

Hi,

I have Mint Linux 18.1 - Cinnamon up and running on the x86. Everything works great! I installed Mint from a Live USB onto an SD (via bootloader). I have even tried Desktop Sharing via another Mint box I have and it all works great, but now how do I make where I don't need to plug in a mouse, keyboard, or monitor? I just want to remote in to it.

Thanks,

Frank

2. Frank Applin

Frank Applin New Member

Just had to set it to auto login!

3. mkopack

mkopack Member

How does making it auto login make it headless? Don't you want something like VNC server running on it so you can remotely access the desktop (maybe that's already there with the OS you installed?)

4. thE_29

thE_29 Member

Install sshd, boom, headless :D
    You dont need a GUI for many things ;)

5. I_Don't_Know_Anything

I_Don't_Know_Anything New Member

I know this post is a little old, but just a quick note for anyone trying to have the x86 headless: I installed x11vncserver on the x86 and am using tightvnc client to access it. While setting it up, it worked flawlessly, but when I disconnected the mouse, keyboard and monitor - it was dog slow. I am talking a good second or two from typing a character to having it display on the screen. The solution I used was to install an HDMI dummy plug to make it think there was a monitor connected and it worked perfectly. I'm sure there is a better solution, but it works for me. I installed the Atom IDE for programming in Node.js.

6. nylan

nylan New Member