Tuning graphics performance in BIOS

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Maurice, May 20, 2017.

1. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

I'm using my X86 in a kiosk setup. I would like to get most out of the board in a graphical sense as possible. As my program is the only one running[*] I don't mind giving a bit more oomph to the GPU if it costs usable RAM.

If I look into the manual the BIOS has some options to tune graphics, but besides saying what the possible values are I cannot see what the impact is of changing it. Except of course that somehow 'more is better'.
    • GTT Size 2MB / 4M B / 8MB Select the GTT (Graphics Translation Table) Size
    • Aperture Size 128MB / 256MB / 512MB Use this item to set the total size of Memory that must be left to the GFX Engine
    • IGD -DVMT Pre- Allocated 32M / 64M / 96M / 128M /160M / 192M / 224M / 256M /288M / 320M / 352M / 384M /416M / 448M / 480M / 512M Select DVMT5.0 Pre-Allocated (Fixed) Graphics Memory size used by the Internal Graphic Device
    • IGD-DVMT Total Gfx Mem 128M / 256M / MAX Select the size of DVMT (Dynamic Video Memory) 5.0 that the Internal Graphics Device will use
    • IGD Turbo Auto / Enabled / Disabled Enable or Disable IGD Turbo mode
    What would changing these values bring me? My application uses 2D graphics, like animation and transparency, but not 3D.

[*] I haven't tuned Ubuntu Desktop yet, so 'the only one running' is technically not the entire truth

2. Jetguy

Jetguy Member

3. Jetguy

Jetguy Member

My takeaway is, those settings are the allocations at boot. The instant your OS and advanced drivers begin to load, they may completely change the game. If your OS is not fully supporting all the capabilities, I doubt changing settings is going to do a thing.