Cant install any linux?

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Jake, May 15, 2017.

1. Jake

Jake UDOOer

I am attempting to isntall Ubunut 17.01 or Archlinux (preferred). I used Rufus to create the bootable usb as a MBR Fat 32 large ISO. I then plug it into the udoo and go to bootmanager and click EFI USB and it complains "boot failed" then I go to legacy usb and it sits on the sys linux screen forever.

What am I doing wrong?

2. tuxun

tuxun Member

if it has a mbr, its not an uefi boot partition?

3. Jake

Jake UDOOer

Turns out I kept downloading and trying to install the x64 version of linux, completely forgot that its 32bit. What a long time it took me to figure that out and download the correct version haha.

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

?? It should do both, 64-bit is preferred: https://www.udoo.org/docs-x86/Software_&_OS_Distro/Linux.html

5. Jake

Jake UDOOer

Ha thats weird, it refused to install any 64bit, would just lock up and freeze, tried a 32-bit OS and it worked first time no issues. I'd much prefer a 64 bit so I can use google chrome on linux haha.

6. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

7. Jake

Jake UDOOer

I will attempt again when I get home from work, ill use uNetBootin. Anyone had success installing archlinux? I am not a fan of Ubuntu and their new layout. Probably use Gnome 3 shell.

8. Ed Popo

Ed Popo New Member

I have 64 bit arch Linux installed and working fine.

Use the dd command to write your iso file to your boot media as in the arch install guide.

The only hiccup I had was with with the bootloader where I had to use an MBR and enable legacy boot options but it seems other people have got arch working with UEFI boot

9. mkopack

mkopack Member

Yeah, it's probably the MBR stuff.. It took me a couple tries to figure out what I was doing wrong when I was writing my Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit image to a USB stick. Turns out when I was formatting it on the Mac I was missing the step to tell it not to do MBR (I'm on an older version of OSX than what they showed in the instructions and that option was hidden elsewhere vs what the instructions showed). Once I did that it booted right up and installed. Works great!

10. MetalArend

MetalArend New Member

@mkopack Could you clarify what exactly you had to do?

11. mkopack

mkopack Member

I'm on Mac OSX 10.10.5 on my laptop.
    When I went into Disk Utility to format the USB stick I first selected the USB stick on the left. Then select "Partition".

Set it for 1 partition, but before you tell it to set up the partition, you have to hit the "Options" button below the Partition Map. Set it to GUID instead of MBR. Then set up the partition.

Finally Format it.

Then follow the directions they gave for writing the Ubuntu ISO image to the USB using unetbootin.

If you don't do the Options button to change to GUID, you won't find it as a bootable USB when you plug it into the UDoo...

12. MetalArend

MetalArend New Member

Interesting. Thanks for the clear answer. It seems I did that part right (by pure luck :p).

I guess I have to define another question then. The problem I'm having is that I have Ubuntu Live on my USB stick, but when I run it to install Ubuntu to the internal eMMC, it will always add the Ubuntu boot part onto the USB. I have change the partitioning during the installation script, I have changed the MBR installation to any of the possible drives, but I never get it right. I suppose I can install linux, I simply cannot boot into it without keeping my USB stick in...

13. mkopack

mkopack Member

Hmm, that's weird... I didn't have that problem at all.. I just was very sure when I got to the step in the Ubuntu install that when it asked for partitioning and such I was very explicit in picking the SSD, and told it to set it all up on the 1 drive as 1 partition.

14. Ed Popo

Ed Popo New Member

Sounds like the issue is with setting up the bootloader on the eMMC during the install process.

@MetalArend
    Have you tried booting Ubuntu Live from the USB stick after installation and then reinstalling grub and writing an MBR onto the eMMC?

Also check your /etc/fstab file to make sure the boot directory is on the eMMC and not somewhere else.