udoobuntu minimal fdisk segfault

Discussion in 'Linux Ubuntu' started by sombunall, May 21, 2017.

1. sombunall

sombunall Member

On the udoo quad with ubuntu minimal when I try to run fdisk it either gives me a segfault or it does something equally strange saying it "cannot open /proc/paRtit)ons" with that exact spelling. I have rebooted and seen this message before. It seems to randomly pick one or the other.

I actually thought maybe I got hacked or something as it is a dedicated server and suggests about breasts ?! This is one of the strangest things I've seen in technology in a while.
    Code:
    # uname -a
    Linux udoo 3.14.56-udooqdl-02044-gddaad11 #3 SMP PREEMPT Tue Dec 6 16:26:55 UTC 2016 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

2. sombunall

sombunall Member

I should mention that fdisk has been segfaulting for a long time now. I can't remember if I saw that spelling mistake before or if it was segfaulting since day #1. I think it was.

Code:
    # whereis fdisk
    fdisk: /sbin/fdisk /usr/share/man/man8/fdisk.8.gz
    # sha1sum /sbin/fdisk
    ebb65631798cfde438ff5f9d8f06b27dad96c2c9  /sbin/fdisk

3. sombunall

sombunall Member

# sha1sum /sbin/fdisk
    f0442b3c99690ebf044ebc838e89cb4bc0aed144 /sbin/fdisk

...change right in the middle of hexdumping (reading) it. It's like bits are being flipped on the micro SD. How can the udoo even be running at all?

4. sombunall

sombunall Member

It looks like the micro SD has some blocks on it that are screwy but I found nothing doing a "fsck.ext4 -c -C 0 -v". I even did the hash of the real fdisk and got something different. I wonder if this sdcard is salvagable seeing as each block is supposed to be 4M. I doubt it as wear leveling algo in an sdcard is probably stupid. The block will just reappear again in another location in the future I think.