X86 Won't Boot. Fails to issue BIOS Prompt

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by LDighera, May 25, 2017.

1. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

I am experiencing a blank screen increasingly often when I power-on my nifty X86 Advanced. This failure happened occasionally at first, and has increased in frequency over the month or so that I've been using the X86 daily. Today it required 12 power cycles before the BIOS prompt would appear on the display.

Are other X86 Advanced owners experiencing this BIOS boot failure issue?

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Did you try it with another power source and/or with less peripherals connected? These kind of boards tend to be critical on power consumption.

3. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

Contact customer care. I have two boards, one of which is running fine, the other doesn't display. Unfortunately customer care is quite slow, but in my past experience UDOO did resolve such matters.

4. spctm

spctm New Member

I too am facing a similar issue. The board is in a continuous reset loop, never gets to BIOS post. I tried 2 different power supplies. One of them is a 12v 10A supply and the other 12v 5A, so this cannot be related to power supply.

5. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

6. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

Thank you for your response.

What I am finding is, that if the filesystem on any of the SD cards or m.2 SSD or eMMC is "dirty," the BIOS usually fails to issue anything at all (black screen, no HDMI video output). Unplugging the offening SD card or fsck_ing (or chkdsk) the dirty filesystem seems to restore normal operation.

While I can understand why this non-booting policy may be useful, failing to display at least a "filesystem dirty" or other appropriate error message seems like an issue for the next firmware update.

It's not a bug; it's a feature. :)