no HDMI after some config change

Discussion in 'UDOO QUAD' started by sombunall, May 21, 2017.

1. sombunall

sombunall Member

I just did a reinstall of ubuntu minimal on my quad and my HDMI was working for many reboots and then at one point my HDMI is not showing a tty anymore. I never touched /etc/uEnv.txt. I tried adding video_output=hdmi but nothing happened. I can SSH and everything else. How do I continue troubleshooting this?

It could not be because I did this by remote in order to get urxvt working with tmux could it, it is specific to my custom user directory:

Code:
    $ ssh remotemachine mkdir -p .terminfo/r
    $ scp /usr/share/terminfo/r/rxvt-unicode* remotemachine:.terminfo/r/

2. sombunall

sombunall Member

Forgot to say that the UDOO logo appears only for maybe 1/10 of a second now and then nothing from then on. Before it would show for a few seconds.

3. sombunall

sombunall Member

I just made some good progress!

I had taken my previous /etc from a micro sd that was flaky so I started looking for suspicious files with rsync. I installed it and ran something like:

# rsync --dry-run --delete -ia -c /old/etc/ /etc/

I studied files looking mostly for "c" in the itemize telling me the checksums / hashes don't match. I found 2 suspect files: bsd-from and ld.so.cache. I did an apt-get remove purge bsdmainutils then apt-get install bsdmainutils man. Then I rm /etc/ld.so.cache then did just ldconfig to rebuild the system library cache (chances are video problem has to do with this cache file I think).

Then I rebooted and saw the udoo logo for many seconds like before! But tty1 would not appear. I tried tty2 and it works (ctrl-alt-F2). All other tty that are not tty2 don't work. I didn't try the serial console yet.

So how do I get all the other tty to appear?

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  4. sombunall

sombunall Member

Also tty1 has no blinking cursor but tty3 and greater has just the blinking cursor and no text. tty2 is the only normal one. Strange.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  5. sombunall

sombunall Member

6. sombunall

sombunall Member

Nope. Systemd, which is now in debian and ubuntu, ignores inittab. I also appears the serial console for the USB-OTG is not spawned:

Code:
    $ ls -l /etc/systemd/system/
    total 4
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May  4  2016 multi-user.target.wants
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   31 May 21 18:24 sshd.service -> /lib/systemd/system/ssh.service
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   35 May 21 18:24 syslog.service -> /lib/systemd/system/rsyslog.service

Umm... bugs?

7. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Udoobuntu minimal is the absolute minimal to get the Udoo running. So all extras have to be added manually and if this requires a recompile of the kernel you have to do it yourself. The Udoo team does not support (bug fixing) the minimal image.

Perhaps a better option would be to use the normal Udoobuntu 2 image and switch off what you not need (graphical desktop mostly).

sombunall likes this.
  8. sombunall

sombunall Member

9. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

I am sorry. I just looked at the documentation in the OS sections and it indeed doesn't state anywhere. On the Neo forum I remember these statements from the Udoo team.

@Laura , perhaps an improvement suggestion to the documentation?

sombunall likes this.
  10. sombunall

sombunall Member

Excellent! I have decided to move to Udoobuntu desktop. I connected to the serial console for the first time ever. I guess I could have tried to add a getty line myself but I decided to be more cautious and change the sub-distro as you suggested.

waltervl likes this.
  11. sombunall

sombunall Member

Also waltervl thanks for all your help in this! I am a fan. :D

waltervl likes this.