New cases - dual fans & HDD options - v2.0 updated Nov.28th

Discussion in 'Cases' started by Kris, Oct 27, 2013.

1. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Re: New cases - dual fans & HDD options added - updated Nov.

but if the case itself extended out a bit with a lip so the fan can snap on, or design where its more of a slot where the fan drops in... then you dont have to "unscrew" each time... because i agree that would be obnoxious. Just ideas for quick release on the fan. because honestly, a fan on the other side i think would be useless, the top of the case will sit right on the headers and the headers would act as a barrier.. the air from the fan wouldn't directly get to the heatsink.

As for length, you have to add the inch or so for the fan anyways isnt it just one side or the other?

2. kintera

kintera New Member

My design will break with an I/o shield mounted is my issue So I am awaiting parts to start doing my thermal tests. I will mount a dummy shield to block airflow to test this issue.

3. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

well that is why i was suggesting to move the UDOO logo/holes towards the back double row of pins and write it out along those pins that way its doubles as an exhaust for when there is an R3 style shield there... but again that really only works if the fan is on the other side.

I can see a fan blowing against the pins being overly effective

4. HixVAC

HixVAC New Member

Sweet remake! Dual fans? Uhhh, awesone.

---A little off subject---
    @Kris-- "and controller board"??? Out of curiosity, did you purchase something or make/plan on making a board of your own? I was debating doing something as well, even though likely unnecessary cause hardware is more of my area/passion. Though I was unsure what I wanted to incorporate in it, how I wanted to set it up, etc. Being as it seems you created space for it, perhaps I can help in creating one since you created the case.

5. tibmeister

tibmeister New Member

I don't have a printer but I do have a Quad and would be willing to pay to have a case printed and sent to me. I am very much able to scrutinize and make suggestions on what I find. I currently have my Udoo running ZoneMinder, DNS, DHCP, and working on some Arduino communications to tie into my throwies, so my Udoo naked is running warm, I can give some great feedback on how this case thermally holds up.

6. Kris

Kris Member

Where are you at ?
    I've kind of put this on the back-burner while I'm waiting for my Quad to show up. There's not a lot more I can do with only the Dual (regarding heat testing and hard-drive fitment/functionality.

I'm a bit swamped at the moment knocking out other prototypes for work and some clients, but If there's no-one local that will print one out, I'll look at printing out some cases as well.

7. tibmeister

tibmeister New Member

Iowa, US.

8. Keridos

Keridos New Member

I would love to have one of these aswell, but I do not have access to any kind of 3d Printer or lasercutter etc.
    My location is Bonn, Germany. Would be great if someone from germany could build this for me.

9. rkwiles

rkwiles New Member

Great work so far.

I tried printing the bottom part and the bolt holes on each corner warp.

Can you add an option to add ears to the corners to help stop this?

Also thought if you did not infill the corners with the holes. It is hard to explain with out a crude drawing see attachment.

I am not sure if the suggestion would stop warping without adding ears but I would love to try printing it again if you add this suggestion.

I am very new to 3D printing and only have the PLA with not heated bed, so please take my suggestion as a newbie one.

Thanks

Attached Files:

10. Kris

Kris Member

It sounds like either you need to prep your bed a bit better or enable rafting (it's the option in your slicer that will automatically generate ears). Lifting or curling is definitely exaggerated with larger parts. If your software can't add the rafting (you might want to try another package), I can make a custom file for you.
    When I was using an non-heated bed and PLA I found it was best to use 2 layers of 3M blue tape (makes removing the part without damaging your bed easier than with a single layer) and lots of rubbing alcohol. Wipe the bed before you put down the tape, then the first layer before adding the second layer (perpendicular to the first layer), then wipe it again and let it dry before you start printing. You'll definitely want to upgrade to a heated bed when you can, it makes your parts stick better and release (after you let it cool) so much easier.

If anyone else has printed one out and mounted their Udoo, I'd be really interested in getting some feedback on other tweaks that might be needed. Based on feedback, I'll make some revisions this weekend.

11. MakerKris

MakerKris New Member

Re: New cases - dual fans & HDD options - v2.0 updated Nov.1

I will gladly print one and critique it for you. I just recieved my quad and have a delta style 3d printer. The only issue I have is your case is much larger then other UDOO cases on thingiverse and because of this ill have to print them vertically. ..so ill see how that print comes out.

12. Kris

Kris Member

Are you sure you were looking at the dimensions correctly ? it's only 142mm at it's widest.
    I could probably update the 1.2 (no fan) version with some of the changes I made for better fitment vs. trying to print v.2.0 on end.

Attached Files:

13. HixVAC

HixVAC New Member

I'm in the same boat--willing to pay for the new rev of case! Would you be willing to make me one?

14. MakerKris

MakerKris New Member

Im pretty sure, the Orion 3d printer I have has a round printing base and it just barely doesnt fit (130mm ish). If you could constrain the design to fit into that diameter I could print it easily flat. If you removed the mounting tabs on the corners I believe it would fit. I am going to try to print the files standing vertically with some support material and see what comes out first tho.

15. MakerKris

MakerKris New Member

The fitment on the case is very nice, one thing I would maybe suggest is adding some small reinforcement angles going from the mounting tabs to the sides of the case, this would add rigidity to the design and aid in warping while printing in abs. Just a thought.

16. LarryJ

LarryJ New Member

Printed this case out last night. Nice job!

Slight bowing of the top from very tight fit, but all ports line up nicely with my Dual.

Thx

17. Kris

Kris Member

v2.0 updated Nov.28th

Thanks Larry.

No big updates, but I did add an alternative (simpler) base that omits the right side vent holes and the holes in the base for those people who aren't adding the hdd base or any active cooling like most people with a dual. This should reduce the amount of retractions and make for a little easier print. Just finishing a test print in translucent blue !

18. MakerKris

MakerKris New Member

Re: New cases - dual fans & HDD options - v2.0 updated Nov.2

Thats a great idea! Having a bowden type extruder makes printing those vent slots a bear, I ended up just cutting them out due to the poor print quality I got from them. This case is by far the best 3d printable Udoo case ive found online. Im working on my own version currently that has a little bit thicker and contoured walls for strength and some extra style.

19. jykm12

jykm12 New Member

Is there a way to get a printed case of this even if you don't own a 3d printer? Is there a reliable and affordable company that prints and ships 3d files?

20. ndzinn

ndzinn New Member

Kris, you've posted this on Thingiverse, right? If so, I found a printer to make it. Using it now. Perfect! Nice work.