Arduino power ON in S3/S4/S5 CPU mode?

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by diglo, Apr 30, 2017.

1. diglo

diglo New Member

Hi people!

I've got my brand new UDOO X86 advanced and I'm wondering what i have to do to have Arduino powered ON while the CPU is in one of the S3, S4, S5 states (namely: sleep, hibernation, soft-off). I'm using Win10 on a SATA drive as the main OS.

Currently, only when the power LED is green, Arduino is ON.
    If I put Win10 to sleep, hibernation or shutdown, the LED turns amber and Arduino gest powered down and there's no possibility for Arduino to wake the board up again! o_O

diglo

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    Wilson and waltervl like this.
  2. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

3. diglo

diglo New Member

@ccs_hello , I know that. I don't want to wake up the Braswell.

I want to have Arduino running when the Braswell is in a low power state.

My BIOS settings are: (if i change them, nothing changes about this issue)
    Curie power management: Wake only
    Power on intel curie: Enabled
    (if disabled, Curie is always OFF)
    Curie reset on poweron: Enabled

It just does not work, Curie is OFF when Braswell is in any of the S3 (sleep), S4 (hibern), S5 (windows shut down) states.

Did you manage to achieve this?

4. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

I am currently under BIOS/UEFI firmware version 1.01.
    Under this version, S3/4/5 will turn off Curie power.
    This power is controlled by STM32 microcontroller.
    I have not tried version 1.02. Not sure if it will fix it (may be not...)
    If not, it appears that STM32 code needs to be reprogrammed thru its JTAG interface.

ccs_hello

5. diglo

diglo New Member

Are you serious?
    So basically, the claims UDOO team made about "Arduino waking up the main processor" are wrong!

How can the Arduino wake the Braswell if while the Braswell is in sleep, the Arduino is powered off? :eek:
    With this setup, arduino can only put the Braswell to sleep/off, and then never turn it back on! :eek:

I'll try to figure out at least how to have the arduino running on an external 3.3V power supply...

6. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Lets keep this centralized here. There is also a discussion here but this is a better place to go on.
    @Andrea Rovai Please help with clarification of the arduino usage while braswell is in sleep!!

7. lucabelluccini

lucabelluccini New Member

Hello, I am facing the same issues mentioned before.
    I was writing a tutorial/blog post about this feature (not working at the moment).

waltervl and diglo like this.
  8. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Actually it's not that difficult to constantly supply Arduino 101 with constant power (needs both 3v3 and 5V) thru 2 hardware soldering jumpers (traces exist on PCB.)
    On the other hand, I'd rather hear UDOO's own solution, since if firmware ver 1.02 can't fix it that way, it's fairly easy (thru JTAG to flash STM32F100's eeprom) to change its behavior/operation mode (turn PC8 output "Curie_PWR_EN" to be always on.)

P.S. U61 is near SATA Power socket pin 1, U60 is in between two M.2 mounting holes (2230 and 2260). (Both on backside of the PCB.)
    STM32 is on the back side of BRICK connector. You'll see a soldering mask U59. Near the character "5", most likely it's the unpopulated R454 (100k) pull-up and near "9" R455 (1k) pull-down. Here I only say... most likely.

ccs_hello

lucabelluccini likes this.
  9. lucabelluccini

lucabelluccini New Member

Thank you for the help, but I would like to hear Udoo to know and understand why this happened and why those lines were not soldered.

A cheap jtag cable would do the trick? E.g. https://www.amazon.fr/gp/aw/d/B012VR3PVA/

10. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Bumping this up for @Laura
    I also would like to quote the Kickstarter page:
    The board is designed to allow the Arduino[emoji769] 101-compatible microcontroller to run when the powerful CPU is powered off, and wake it up when something's happened in the world. IoT gets easy.

Well it seems to be not that easy yet......

11. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

I considered this to be a major feature when I backed UDOO X86, so I definitely want answer from Udoo of whether this will be possible.

Maurice likes this.
  12. Laura

Laura UDOOer

Firstly, thank you @waltervl for bringing my attention to the concerns raised this thread.

The embedded Arduino is designed to be run 24/7, providing it receives constant power from the board's DC jack or via the 12Vin pin located on the GPIO header.

The way that the board firmware currently controls the reset of the Arduino is not correct, and causes the Arduino to stop working when the operating system requests a suspend or power down operation. It's code related and solvable by a firmware update, which is due out early next week, along with a guide.

Maurice, bodgyuk, milaremi and 3 others like this.
  13. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

@Laura
    The issue is not just Arduino itself got the reset, but more seriously its power got cut off (see post #4 and #8.on Curie_PWR_EN.)

Waiting patiently for firmware 1.03 and hope it has a fix for that.

ccs_hello

14. hseldon

hseldon New Member

@Laura any update on this new firmware?

diglo likes this.
  15. Laura

Laura UDOOer

@hseldon and others, the new firmware solved the issue but created another, discovered during the testing stage. The firmware engineers are now working on this new issue before releasing the firmware. I do not currently have an ETA, but will send a Kickstarter update when released, and also post here. They have also added a procedure to reset the board to a factory state, which is currently being tested. This will help users who use the system configuration utility to disable USB or display outputs.

16. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

@Laura any chance of open sourcing the firmware, if its for the stm32?

hseldon likes this.
  17. John Ingram

John Ingram New Member

18. Laura

Laura UDOOer

Sorry, did not see this in my notifications! To update you - A team member is currently making enquiries on open sourcing the firmware for the STM32. Will let you know when I hear more.

No news on this yet. Hopefully soon!

jura likes this.
  19. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

@Laura We are now one month further, any update that can be shared?

diglo likes this.
  20. Laura

Laura UDOOer

@waltervl The development of the updated firmware is making progress and should be out soon. Will publish a Kickstarter update and pin a post here, when released.

I am eagerly awaiting for it too, because I want to turn my PC on and off using my Android tablet :)

Fuzzyroll and waltervl like this.