W10>SSD: Can't create new partition

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by G3WGV, Jun 1, 2017.

1. G3WGV

G3WGV UDOOer

Trying to install W10 to a Samsung 850 EVO SSD on my Ultra. At the "Where do you want to install Windows" screen I can see the SSD as Drive 0 partition 1. It shows the correct total size and is Primary. Whatever I do Windows throws a "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one" error. I've tried deleting the partition and letting W10 create it. I've tried formatting the partition. I even ran diskpart and set up the partition at the command prompt.

I can copy files to the SSD when it is formatted, from the command prompt, so I can't see that there is a driver problem. I also tried setting up a partition on the eMMC drive. Again, I can read/write it from the command prompt but W10 won't install to it. So I think this issue is not specific to the SSD.

I don't think I have ever got stuck here before! Grateful for any ideas anyone might have.

2. Kilrah

Kilrah Member

Set the SSD as default boot device in the BIOS.

3. stecolumna

stecolumna UDOOer

Dear G3WGV

boot from a USB stick a live linux system as Debian for example. Run gparted with GUI (more simple) and root permissions and manage your partition. Obviously if you boot from the SSD you can't modify the partitions. If you haven't never used gparted ask help to a friend because yon can erase your disk if don't use it correctly.

Best regards

Stecolumna

4. G3WGV

G3WGV UDOOer

I'm just getting back to this after a few days away. Thanks for the replies but I'm afraid I don't really understand either of them, so I fear I have not explained my problem adequately.

I have created a bootable W10 installation on a microSD card, which is plugged into the Udoo. Also attached to the Udoo is a Samsung SATA SSD, onto which I plan to install Windows. I can boot just fine from the microSD and Windows starts its installation. It gets as far as "Where do to want to install Windows" and clearly shows the Samsung SSD as Disk 0 partition 1, Primary. However, Windows install won't let me install onto that, or indeed, any other partition. I can delete and recreate partitions as usual but I cannot progress beyond "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one".

Over the years I've done many Windows installs and have often had problems getting Windows to see the disk and its partitions, usually because of missing drivers. I've never encountered the situation where the partition is there, plain to see, and I can write stuff to it from the command prompt, but Windows install won't install to it.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

John.

5. Kilrah

Kilrah Member

See my answer above, you need to go in the BIOS and tell the board to boot from your SSD by default. There are other threads about this already.

6. G3WGV

G3WGV UDOOer

Hmmm... ok. Well, I tried that (SCU > Boot menu > Legacy then bring the SSD to the top of the list) but all I get is the "No bootable device" error message. Perhaps you mean something else by "tell the board to boot from your SSD by default". I've tried searching for the other threads you mention but can't seem to find them. Grateful for a little more detail.

7. Kilrah

Kilrah Member

That's correct. Now to boot from the card you override that from the boot menu.

8. G3WGV

G3WGV UDOOer

I got there in the end. The two pieces of missing information were that it is necessary to boot the MicroSD windows installation drive as an EFI device and then re-partition the destination drive as MBR. Thanks for your help.

9. Lord Arach

Lord Arach New Member

This dude got me through the same issue...

He adds an extra step that none of the other diskpart tutorials had.