Is the Wi-Fi module 5 GHz only, or also 2.4 GHz ?

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Markus Laire, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

Both UDOO X86 Documentation and shop page refer to Wi-Fi module as "AC" and "5 GHz".

Does it only support 5 GHz or also earlier standards at 2.4 GHz ?

2. Laura

Laura UDOOer

It's dual band, so supports both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz channels.

3. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

ok, I wasn't sure if "dual band" referred to it having both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  4. Laura

Laura UDOOer

By the way, welcome to the forum @Markus Laire! Always good to see the friendly people from KS comments joining the forum.

5. icce

icce New Member

@Laura it seems that the Wifi & Bluetooth Card is not fully supported on Ubuntu. I can only use 5Ghz band, the 2.4Ghz band found but cannot connect and Bluetooth could not find any device.

6. Laura

Laura UDOOer

If you're one of the kit backers who received one antenna, there will be second one sent as soon as we receive stock from our supplier. The second antenna improves performance, and might solve the issue you are currently experiencing.

If you are using two antennas, I am not sure what could be causing the problem. The wireless module is by Intel, and should be well supported.

7. icce

icce New Member

@Laura
    I am a kit backer with Udoo x86 Advance. There is only one antenna. Actually, only wifi works and only with 5Ghz.
    I think partly the problem comes from Intel firmware. It is well supported for Windows user, but for Linux, it is limited up until now, even for the latest kernel.
    I don't if anyone have successfully use both Wifi and Bluetooth with Linux yet?!
    Thanks for your fast response.

8. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

9. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

is there any feedback on when those of us who only received a single antenna will get the second one? It is now over 6 weeks since I received my UDOO with only a single antenna included. We were advised not to raise a support ticket as they are meant to be sent out automatically, but without any feedback on when this is going to happen it is tempting to raise a ticket anyway.

waltervl likes this.
  10. tothezenith

tothezenith New Member

I'd like to know too, as all the talk of people getting one antenna and I didn't even get that. Can't use the module at all and just get reply saying don't raise a ticket that the extra one will be sent out, but that still puts me behind the eight ball.

11. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

I have found, that under Debian Linux Stretch the BlueTooth portion of the Intel AC3168 combination WiFi/Bluetooth card is disabled at boot-time as indicated in 'dmesg' output. So, if concurrent WiFi and BlueTooth operation is not possible, only one antenna is needed. :-( :rolleyes:

Given that apparent AC3168 limitation, and to potentially increase WiFi throughput, I've opted to use the COMFAST CF-917AC Realtek RTL8814 USB Adapter Wifi Dongle and a USB BT adapter. So, I'm wondering what alternative PCIe device might be plugged into the Udoo X86 2230 PCIe slot.

At this point Debian provides no RTL8814 driver/module package (although KALI Linux includes it natively); I've had to build it myself. I struggled with DKMS for some time, and finally just compiled the source, built the kernel module, and 'modprobe' enabled it. This device is supposed to support three simultanious WiFi streams: 5GHZ X 2 + 2.5GH X 1.

12. icce

icce New Member

Actually, I have already installed those driver but still no output from BT, that's why I asked Udoo. The 2.4 Ghz connection is ok now, but still no hope with BT.
    @LDighera what is your experience with Debian 9 on x86? I am running Elementary OS Loki, it looks smooth, the only problem is heat. CPU core makes the board warm, even when idling.

13. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

I chose Debian because it is very well supported. Temperatures are typically reported to be ~100 F under X11. The only time I've seen the fan run was while viewing YouTube videos under Windows 10. I haven't found heat to be an issue at all with the X86 board.