Micro SD issues [Official disccusion]

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by andcmp, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Sorry to hear that. The Contact Form you mentioned is the one at http://www.udoo.org/support/contact-us/ ?

To recap:
    • * you have a solid green power LED on (giving confidence you have > 12W coming in EG 12V1A or 10V1.2A etc - and no large power drain items plugged in)
    • * you have tried downloading a fresh Android from the UDOO Downloads page - the SHA-1 checksums match
    • * you have tried downloading a fresh Linaro Ubuntu from the UDOO Downloads page - the SHA-1 checksums match
    • * you have followed the http://www.udoo.org/faq-items/why-my-udoo-wont-boot/ guide a couple of times

...and the board still appears to be dead (nothing on HDMI or Serial)?

2. dkonhauser

dkonhauser New Member

I have done all of the above except trying a new Ubuntu image (I tried Android).

Will download Ubuntu from Source Forge, check SHA-1, and try again.

I really want it to work!

3. Xykon

Xykon Member

I spent another 4 hours tonight trying to get my udoo to work.

This time I tried using the binaries... I checked with sha1sum that everything was downloaded OK... I created a single partition on my mSD cards with 10MB in front and 10MB at the end. I extracted the rootfs. I tried several times with and without updating the kernel (and instead keeping the kernel that comes with the rootfs download). I also installed the mbr package and used install-mbr (either before or after writing u-boot).

As is now usual... the first attempt once again got me to load u-boot and the kernel, but I once again got stuck at the same point I already posted two days ago (ending with mxc_asrc registered). I also stopped the autoboot once and check the sdcard with the various u-boot commands... I could see the ext3 file system and the uImage file... and since the kernel is loading there is no doubt the card is created correctly because uImage is on the root filesystem.

And once again after a few minutes of testing everything stopped and I once again don't get any output. I recreated my cards several times using exactly the same steps I used before but my udoo remains dead.

At this point I am seriously wondering if something on my udoo board just isn't working correctly and I'm just doing the same steps over and over again for nothing...

To be honest, the most disappointing thing is that I asked several (even very simple) questions and didn't get a reply to even a single one of them.

4. dtirados

dtirados New Member

I must agree with dkonhauser, I followed all steps includin sending a contact email to UDOO (I have done it twice) but I had no response..... Is there any problem with the support email?

5. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

There did seem to be an issue with the e-mail. I remember seeing a fellow forum user reporting an issue about mails bouncing as they were forwarded (From UDOO -> SECO).

I would have expected that to have been resolved by now but perhaps it hasn't? If you don't hear back by end of play today post again here is my advice.

6. dkonhauser

dkonhauser New Member

To recap completely.

I have tested the power supply and have a steady green light.

Have downloaded Ubuntu and Android images, checked SHA-1, and created new images.

Followed the troubleshooting guide several times.

Tried a HDMI monitor and serial debug - nothing, ever.

No response to my contact form, either.

7. Xykon

Xykon Member

I'm not 100% sure about this yet but... I noticed that when my udoo froze up completely, it helped if I let it run for a while and ultimately it would boot up to a certain point.

I suggest you try two things first:

1.) Remove J2 and connect udoo to your PC (preferably windows) to CN3 (the usb otg port). If you see a HID device being detected, even if it constantly keeps disconnecting and reconnecting, then it is an indication that your CPU isn't totally fried. This HID device is an alternate loading port on the iMX CPU similar to Atmel's SAM-BA interface. I'm trying to figure out how to boot udoo through that interface but so far haven't been successful.

2.) Keep your udoo running (with the serial console connected) for at least 60 minutes. It might be that it just takes a while.... (at least that's what seems to happen with my board).

8. Xykon

Xykon Member

Just a quick note, the Mfgtools-Rel-4.1.0_130816_MX6Q_UPDATER isn't compatible with the u-boot binary released by the udoo team. Until they release the u-boot sources or the correct binary I won't be able to put together a profile to work around mSD card issues. I read in another forum that they are planning to release the u-boot sources soon so hopefully I'll be able to continue troubleshooting after that.

9. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

dkonhauser ,

Please explain better how did you flash the image and the OS you used:

- is it a MAC OSX? if so, what version?
    - Did you use an extenal USB card reader or the interal card reader of your computer?

The green light steady doesn't necessary means that the i.MX6 works but just that the internal 5v voltage regulator is working.

10. dkonhauser

dkonhauser New Member

Hi,

I used OS X 10.7.5 and the internal card reader (the micro SD in an adaptor).

11. dtirados

dtirados New Member

I have the same problem as dkonhauser, I have sent two email to support and I have no response to neither of them..... a solution would be appreciated....

I'm thinking about the possibility to post here for each day I have no response....

12. dtirados

dtirados New Member

Honestly... I'm running out of patience...

I've backed this project, I'have waited for 5 months to get it, and now I have a non working item and the two mail I wrote to udoo haven't been responsed....

13. delba

dtirados,

we got your email and already replied to you.

Thanks for your patience and sorry for the late response (we had some issues with the email)

Cheers

14. delba

dkonhauser,

with the newest OSX (10.9) we're experiencing some issues with dd from terminal.
    i would like to have a little bit more info regarding your problem:

- the class of your MicroSD
    - when you flash the OS how much time you have to wait to have the MicroSD ready?
    - when dd has finished, you got a popup saying "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer"?

cheers

15. dtirados

dtirados New Member

I have read the email, thank you very much for your help.

I happy to hear that your problems with your email system are already solved, please accept my apologies if I have been rude in any way.

16. dkonhauser

dkonhauser New Member

I used a Transcend 8GB class 4 microSDHC

It took several hours (I left it on overnight).

At least once I got a message "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" when dd had finished.

17. delba

A class 4 usually takes 40 minutes to complete a dd with both Android and Ubuntu images. If you don't get the "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" the dd did not work properly and your mSD is still in fat instead of ext3.

If you'll be able to flash a mSD in this way (with the right images for the Quad version) and your UDOO still don't boot i guess there's something wrong with the Hardware and the only solution is to change your UDOO.

Let me know if something changes with the newest images we uploaded yesterday (ubuntu).

18. dkonhauser

dkonhauser New Member

I tried downloading the new Ubuntu Quad images from both Mirror EU and SourceForge and kept getting the same incorrect SHA-1 (I checked zipped and unzipped). So I haven't tried flashing the mSD again.

19. delba

Checked the SHA-1 and it's fine. We re-pasted it if u wanna try again.

20. dkonhauser

dkonhauser New Member

Downloaded the new Ubuntu Quad image again. The SHA-1 was fine this time.

However the UDOO still won't boot. I think I need new hardware.