No Bootable Device error on Micro SD (Ubuntu)

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by brianbotter, Jun 15, 2017.

1. brianbotter

brianbotter New Member

Perhaps this is not the best board to post this, but maybe someone can help.

I have recently received the UDOO x86 and I am in need of some tech support. I have created a USB Ubuntu install drive and went through the process of installing Ubuntu 16.04 on a micro SD card and all seems fine. I have followed the instructions to remove the USB drive and press enter and it restarted Ubuntu 16.04. It seems to have been installed!

However, I powered down eventually and restarted the UDOO x86 and I get "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" error. I have tried running it in EFI and Legacy, with no luck. I have also tinkered around with a few other boot options in the BIOS - but nothing excessive. When booting in dual boot and EFI - I do get a Shell option which lists the Device mapping table above it.

I have tried this with Ubuntu 16.10 with no luck and it should be noted that I don't have an EMMC storage option, so the Micro SD should be the only storage option - aside from the USB boot drive but it's only 2GB in size.

Am I missing a step in install or perhaps after? Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. ektor5

ektor5 Administrator Staff Member

Hi Brian,
    I've tried myself the installing procedure with the Ubuntu 16.10 Slim and it initially it fails (GRUB installation crashes), so seems a problem with Ubuntu that doesn't recognize the MicroSD as a possible target (probably linked to an EFI incompatibility, maybe booting the installation media as Legacy solves the issue).

Later, I've successfully managed to recover mounting the microSD in my pc and reinstalling GRUB in legacy mode with:
    Code:
    # grub-install /dev/mmcblk0 --boot-directory=/path/to/microsd/boot --target=i386-pc

And it worked. However, since it's a really slow media compared to SATA devices, I don't recommend installing an OS on it.

Let me know,
    Ek5

3. bodgyuk

bodgyuk New Member

If you have the eMMC installed it might be worth checking that grub didn't get installed there and you just need to select the eMMc as the boot partition in the BIOS.

4. tsurrel

tsurrel New Member

Hi,
    I'm running in the exact same situation : on a basic UDOO x86, after updating the firmware to v1.03 I am able to install Ubuntu 16.04 from a live USB without any problem. On the next boot I get the No bootable device error message and as Brian, changing from EFI to Legacy mode doesn't change anything.
    The strange thing is that if I hit Alt-Ctrl-Del when stuck at the No bootable device message, the board will restart and boot ubuntu without any problem !

Does anybody would have an idea how to fix this or what I am doing wrong ?

Thomas

5. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

6. tsurrel

tsurrel New Member

Thank you, I missed this thread.