USB 3.0 drive unmounts // slow speed

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by tojo2503, Jun 20, 2017.

1. tojo2503

tojo2503 New Member

Hi there,
    I received my AdvancedPlus today. Great piece of hardware. I have a small problem (at least I hope it's small):

- I installed Xubuntu 16.04. as described here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=282593 . I'd say nothing special except maybe the openbox xsession to boot directly into Kodi.
    - The system is up and running. However when I connect my USB 3.0. WD HDD and mount it with:
    sudo mount -t ext4 /dev/sda1 /media/mypath some strange things happen
    - When trying to watch a movie file it works for some seconds but then Kodi reports that the HDD is disconnected. It can't even be found with: sudo blkid until I reboot.
    - sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/sda output varies heavily but is rather slow:
    Timing cached reads: 2532 MB in 2.00 seconds = 1266.28 MB/sec (this is pretty much constant)
    Timing buffered disk reads: 298 MB in 33.29 seconds = 8.95 MB/sec (sometimes it's even less...)

I first thought the HDD might be broken, but works perfectly fine on a Cubox (in USB 2.0 mode).
    Are there any settings I haven't seen yet, maybe in UEFI or something. My Ubuntu knowledge is kind of limited...

Does anyone have any ideas which settings might be responsible for this? I experienced something similar years ago with an old Raspberry Pi because the Power supply was too small, but I'm using the standard Udoo Power Supply so this should not be the case...

Thanks a lot for your ideas!

2. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

Take a look in the logs right after the drive disconnects. Paste the specific log messages here. /var/log/messages should be a good starting point. You might even want to open a terminal window and type in the following:

Code:
    tail -f /var/log/messages 
    This will give you a live view of the log file. As lines are added to the log, they'll be printed to the terminal. It's a good way to instantly see what's going on when it happens as long as not too many things are going on all at the same time.

3. tojo2503

tojo2503 New Member

Hi,
    thanks for the answer. I found someone with a similar issue and the WD MyBook... it seems like the WD MyBook needs to have a Firmware Update to work on USB 3.0 with Ubuntu (I didn't even know you can update your external HDDs firmware).
    Did that with the WD Firmware Updater and everything is fine now. Reporting this, just in case anyone else has a similar issue. :)

Here is hdparm -Tt:
    Timing cached reads: 2812 MB in 2.00 seconds = 1405.86 MB/sec
    Timing buffered disk reads: 388 MB in 3.01 seconds = 128.91 MB/sec
    No more disconnects. Thanks a lot. :)

Markus Laire likes this.
  4. Jetguy

Jetguy Member

Suggestion, edit your original topic post title to add (Solved).