Obvious battery flaw

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Lord Wolfenstein, Jun 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Lord Wolfenstein

Lord Wolfenstein New Member

I got my board today and I am happy about that. But, the first thing I notice is that the battery is literary hanging by the wires. I am not a billionaire in neither euros or dollars but I it would be worth an extra euro or two to have a battery-clip-in-thingie to hold it in place to prevent future complications.

While were at it what would I loose except the clock if I just unplugged the battery?

[​IMG]

2. FirstGenGeek

FirstGenGeek Member

The battery just keeps the real-time-clock operating when the main power is off. Without the RTC the OS will mis-date files and potentially have other logic problems that are based on date/time.

I used a piece of two-sided tape and stuck the battery to the circuit board.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  3. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

On Linux you could do without if you have a working network connection and check if the boot order of the services are right.

4. x1800MODMY360x

x1800MODMY360x Member

Also added note some bios setting rely on the RTC as well.

It's not going to hurt the battery just sitting like that, unless you throw the udoo around ;)

5. Lord Wolfenstein

Lord Wolfenstein New Member

If I build a jukebox or something then future movers will not be aware of the floppy battery situation. To me right now unplugging seems like the best alternative.

6. x1800MODMY360x

x1800MODMY360x Member

It not going to hurt it but it's your device.

I got no issue just sitting there.

7. SteveD

SteveD Member

like firstgengeek said, just use double sided sticky tape. if you're worried about shorting any connections use electrical tape to cover the solder points/components

Maurice likes this.