Install Google Apps

Discussion in 'Android' started by gryphius_g, Nov 13, 2013.

1. gryphius_g

gryphius_g New Member

I wanted to play around with google apps on the UDOO. In case someone is interested, here's how I got them installed.
    The "system" fs on the image is too small (it doesn't fill the partition). It should have 512MB, but the OS only sees around 270 MB, most of which is already occupied, so there is not enough space left for gapps.

Fix:
    Open sdcard on a linux computer with gparted, select partition 5 (system), select menu "partition" -> "check", then apply. This will grow the file system to use the full partition.

After that, download the gapps package from http://goo.im/gapps/ (be sure to select the correct one for android 4.2.2: gapps-jb-20130812-signed.zip ). Unpack the zip in a local temp directory. Mount partition5 (/dev/sdg5 in the example below) . Rsync everything from the "system" folder in the zip file to the mounted partition. Unmount SD, put it in the UDOO, and voilà, google play store etc. is available.

Code:
    unzip gapps-jb-20130812-signed.zip
    mkdir /media/sdg5
    mount /dev/sdg5 /media/sdg5
    rsync -avu system/* /media/sdg5/
    umount /media/sdg5

2. maurizio

maurizio Administrator

Awesome gryphius_r,
    I will try it tomorrow!

3. Doombot

Doombot New Member

Is there a way to fix the SD card without gparted on linux (read: on Windows). I have access to no linux computer right now. I have a Ubuntu 13.10 at home, but I assume a couple of UDOO user won't have a linux at all...

Anyway, thanks for the info!

4. gryphius_g

gryphius_g New Member

I guess the gparted fix basically did a resize2fs (not 100% sure, didn't look closely). Maybe some windows partition manager would be able to do this, but its probably easier to just run gparted from a live cd ( http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php )

5. gryphius_g

gryphius_g New Member

I just verified with the dual image. the filesystem doesn't fill the whole partition. so instead of using gparted you can also run e2fsck / resize2fs on the console, with the same result.

Code:
    # e2fsck -f /dev/sdg5 
    e2fsck 1.42.8 (20-Jun-2013)
    Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
    Pass 2: Checking directory structure
    Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
    Pass 4: Checking reference counts
    Pass 5: Checking group summary information
    /dev/sdg5: 1278/17952 files (0.0% non-contiguous), 49905/71680 blocks
    # resize2fs /dev/sdg5 
    resize2fs 1.42.8 (20-Jun-2013)
    Resizing the filesystem on /dev/sdg5 to 131827 (4k) blocks.
    The filesystem on /dev/sdg5 is now 131827 blocks long.

6. eric

eric New Member

This worked perfectly. Thanks so much.

7. pizthewiz

pizthewiz New Member

Thanks for the install notes, this was very helpful to get benchmarking tools up and running!

8. the1cyrus

the1cyrus New Member

Could someone give a windows based tutorial on how to install gapps?

9. the1cyrus

the1cyrus New Member

I've downloaded gapps-jb-20130812-signed.zip on android using its browser but what is needed from here on? How do you install gapps from the zip file since I don't think there is an android recovery to boot into.

Also could someone give a windows based tutorial on how to do the partition stuff to extend its size?

10. lostfly

lostfly New Member

Not run.
    When open PlayStore, this close after one second without error.

any idea ?

Thanks

11. Decion

Decion New Member

Just to confirm, the above explained method still works ok (Jan 29th 2014). I was able to get the Google play store running with the explained procedure, though with the latest Android version (1.2) I didn't need to do the resizing step, so maybe that got obsolete in the meantime.

12. maurizio

maurizio Administrator

13. mrdude

mrdude New Member

Thanks guys, at last - it makes a big difference with the play store working now. Why don't you release an image preconfigured with google apps?, it would save messing around.

14. arrowhead

arrowhead New Member

Sounds like you already figured this out, but just in case someone else is stumped, here is how I got the Google Apps package installed via Windows:

1. Make sure you have the Android SDK installed. You will need ADB.
    2. Download the correct gapps package for your UDOO Android version and extract. You can then copy the system folder from the extracted archive to your SDK platform-tools directory to make things easy.
    3. On your UDOO, under your Android Developer Settings, make sure OTG and USB debugging are enabled. Then, plug your UDOO into your PC via the OTG port.
    NOTE: You are supposed to get a message on your UDOO asking you to accept the RSA fingerprint for your PC to allow debugging. If this doesn't happen, but the UDOO drivers still install on your PC, change the USB mode on your UDOO to "Camera" by dragging down the upper-left portion of the notifications bar in Android and clicking the "Connected as..." dialog.
    4. Accept the fingerprint. Now, on your PC, launch your command prompt and cd into your Android SDK platform-tools directory.
    5. Test the ADB connection by typing "adb devices". You should see your UDOO under the list of devices, with a serial number.
    6. Now, you need to push the gapps package. Type the following and hit Enter: "mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system". Then, type the following and hit Enter: "adb push [path to gapps system folder] /system". If you copied the system folder from the extracted gapps archive into your platform-tools directory, you would use "adb push system /system" and hit Enter. It should begin pushing each Google .apk to your UDOO.
    7. You should get a welcome screen and be guided through the setup for your Google account.

I hope this is clear and helps someone. Cheers!

15. YannXplorer

YannXplorer New Member

Hi lostfly,

Check the framework of gapp (.jar) are installed in repo : System/framework from root.
    else, copy it manually...

bye.

16. dzondo

dzondo New Member

I dont get a message on my UDOO about accept the RSA fingerprint. I tried also change usb mode to Camera but still nothing :( Any advice??

17. Swanson76

Swanson76 New Member

Same here :(!

Would be awesome if I could use Gapps!

18. dzondo

dzondo New Member

So the RSA fingerprint solved by YannXplorer :
    "To fix it, I installed adb driver on this site! : http://adbdriver.com/downloads/

Thank you, Its work!!!

Swanson76 try it, it should help you ;)

19. iddqd

iddqd Member

And do we still need to resize /system partition? On the latest build i get "out of space" error. (

20. Hason

Hason New Member

Hi guys,

I have this error :

failed to copy 'system/addon.d/70-gapps.sh' to '/system/addon.d/70-gapps.sh' : no such file or directory

after doing this part :
    any idea what is wrong ?