avlinux noob install help

Discussion in 'Debian' started by JCSelector, Jul 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JCSelector

JCSelector UDOOer

As the title suggests, this is my first time with Linux.
    So far I have avlinux running in live mode (?) on a usb memory stick on udoo x86 advanced plus.
    I think the next step is to have it installed on the eMMC 32g on the udoo x86. And then partition this drive for the install.
    But it doesn't show up ?

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

From the AV Linux User manual:
    You could try booting the USB in Boot manager from legacy instead of EFI.
    See for example below:

[​IMG]

3. JCSelector

JCSelector UDOOer

Thank you, but this is my problem.
    I can run avlinux from the above shown method, but in the "systemback" ( I think its called), when I try to install to the machine ( x86 AP ), in the partition page I cant see the eMMC 32g thats on the udoo x86. All I see is the usb stick.

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Then it looks like the Linux kernel of AV Linux is build without eMMC Support (see also https://www.udoo.org/forum/threads/kernel-config-for-mmc.7243/ ). You could also check it it wants to install on a SD Card mounted in the Udoo (probably not).
    An option would be to add as small Sata Hard Disk/SSD to your setup if you really want to run this distro.

You could also ask the developer of AV Linux if he wants to add the eMMC support (if it is not implemented)

Edit: You should also check if you have UEFI version 1.02. If not you have to update: https://www.udoo.org/docs-x86/Advanced_Topics/UEFI_update.html

5. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

6. JCSelector

JCSelector UDOOer

Ahh, ok that makes sense, Thank you.
    Also I just read the eMMC is not recomended to use as a swap file.
    Also, the onboard micro sd card reader isnt showing up. But now you have given me more clues to continue my journey.

7. Andy Voelkel

Andy Voelkel New Member

This thread interests me. I'm interested in using AVLinux to get started on a path to building an audio HW appliance based on Linux. I don't need the hassles associated with trying to do this on ARM right out of the box. So using a Udoo and AVLinux looks like a good way to get started painlessly. Here's what I don't know. It looks like I'll need to buy a SATA SSD since AVLinux doesn't support eMMC. Fine. But what I don't know is how I would get the AVlinux onto the SATA drive in a bootable fashion. I've had experience building PCs but my knowledge is years out of date. Example - I had no idea what UEFI was, and I still don't know what distinguishes eMMC from a normal disk drive API.