Ubuntu 17.04 on MMC?

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by helix, Jul 10, 2017.

1. helix

helix New Member

I've been fighting my Udoo x86 all day, trying to get it up and running. I've been following the instructions on Udoo's getting started page, essentially saying to use just unetbootin and plop in an iso, which I've done.

Has anyone had any success getting Ubuntu 17 installed on the MMC storage? I go through the install, on reboot I get a purple screen, then...nothing. I can't seen to get past that, even trying to boot into text mode gets nowhere. Has anyone else had any luck here?

Side note: Ubuntu 16.04 gives me the error: The 'grub-efi-amd64-signed' package failed to install into /target/. Without the GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot. Booting in legacy USB mode gets past the above error in 16.04, but then won't boot on restart.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    Fuzzyroll likes this.
  2. stecolumna

stecolumna UDOOer

Dear helix

I have succesfully installed Ubuntu 17.04 in legacy mode on the MicroSD slot (64GB card). I have seen that the GRUB have the UUID of the partitions of the MicroSD to identify the memory unity.

I have installed Ubuntu 17.04, also in legacy mode, in the SATA SSD, on the third partition with another Ubuntu GRUB written on the SATA disk himself.

Finally I have two installation of Ubuntu 17.04: one on the MicroSD and another in the SATA SSD and both have a "personal" GRUB.

3. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

I'm running Ubuntu 17.04 without a problem. I first ran the demo version of Ubuntu to use GParted to remove the QA partition on the eMMC, then I installed Ubuntu following the normal procedure.

I haven't changed any secure boot setting so I guess I'm running in Legacy mode.

4. helix

helix New Member

Thanks for the replies so far. Here's what I've found...

Maurice, did you just wipe the MMC clean and install using unetbootin?

I gave up on the MMC (went through about 6 reinstalls trying various tricks) and installed it on a 32 GB SD card. That worked in that it booted up and let me start using Ubuntu. However...the machine went into standby/suspend mode. When it tried to come out, I had no display. On reboot I see the grub menu, but I no longer get any display after that. I've tried this approach twice, both times suspend mode seems to "kill" Ubuntu entirely.

Does anyone have any tips on how to fix the OS if it goes into suspend mode?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  5. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

I downloaded the Ubuntu distribution from the official download page and put it on a SD card, which includes an option to run it as a Live CD, and has the install button on the desktop. The only problem I had was with a fault of Ubuntu itself: no working DNS, so no system update, fixable with a trick.

I've installed Ubuntu 17.04 on both an Advanced and an Ultra.

I've put my system in suspend mode multiple times, even a few moments ago when I accidentally pressed suspend instead of reboot in order to check secure boot mode. There is no problem with getting out of suspend.

6. helix

helix New Member

Gotcha, I may have to try installing it that way. I did the unetbootin approach, on boot grub gave me live mode or install mode, but I went straight to install, then told it to use MMC. That definitely did NOT work. I'll try live mode, then try clicking on that install button on the desktop, and make sure the MMC is totally cleared of partitions.

On a side note, I fixed my DNS problem by going into the graphical network settings tool, and giving it a DNS server of 8.8.8.8, then disable/enable the network connection.

7. Fuzzyroll

Fuzzyroll New Member

I have Ubuntu Mate 17.04 on my MMC, and i have Windows 10 on m2 drive.

I had a problem getting Ubuntu to boot but my issue was solved after i updated the uefi firmware on the udoo. I have the advanced version of the board :)

//FuzzyRoll

helix likes this.
  8. bodgyuk

bodgyuk New Member

The screen not showing after a suspend state maybe your monitor or TV not sending or receiving the correct signal to wake up. With my system (Windows 10 mainly, + Mint) my monitor sleeps automatically if it receives no video input and it takes 15 seconds or so, to wake both the Udoo and the monitor. Occasionally the monitor has to be switched off and on again to reread the CEC line.