Arduino detect power state

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Tom Barber, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Tom Barber

Tom Barber New Member

Hi,

We know we can prod pin 9 to get the power to switch on or off. As an addage to that, does anyone know if you can hook up a coupler to get the power state back into the Arduino from the X86 side of the server?

Thanks

Tom

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Firmware Bug alarm

As it is not working correctly yet I dont think anyone could know the answer. Perhaps an Udoo Engineer could explain what could be possible in the future. But I dont think it will be known by Arduino 101 in what power state the Braswell is.

3. Tom Barber

Tom Barber New Member

Whats not working correctly yet? The bug regarding the 101 serial hookup after a reset? That's actually not a problem in this case(unless the solution to find the power state is to read the serial bus! ;)) .

I was thinking more, can I put a wire into a digital input in some not overly hackish way to get a high/low input depending on the state?

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

The bug is that if you put the Braswell in a sleep/hibernate state the Arduino 101 stops working.
    In that case the Arduino 101 is not able to know the power state of the Braswell ;)

So the only state that the Arduino can measure is that the Braswell is on....

If the bug is fixed you perhaps could monitor a Braswell controlled GPIO that is hardwired to an Arduino input. If you set the GPIO high from Braswell/Linux the Arduino knows the state of the Braswell. Thinking of that, the USB/Serial connection could give an indication of that too.

Do you want to know Braswell On/Off or Braswell exact state (off/hibernate/sleep/on etc)? The last looks more challenging to implement.

5. Tom Barber

Tom Barber New Member

Hmm I'm probably overthinking it, I'm just interested in testing the power on/off -ness. If the 1.8V power rail drops to 0v when its in an off state but raises to 1.8V on power up that would probably do me just fine.

6. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

If you are talking about CN13's pin 20, that 1.8V power output is "always on". (Also CN12's pin 15 will have 12V power, also "always on".) <-- Sorry no 3.3V or 5V "always on" exposed in those connectors.

To get the power state, use front panel connector CN25.
    Its pin 2 is the state S5 (active low) and pin 4 is state S3 (also active low.)
    Note these two pins are in 5V logic level. There is an easy trick to drop the signals down close to 3.3V LVTTL logic level.

What Waltervl had stated is the current major problem (until UDOO fixes it), when Intel Braswell is in S3 or S5 state,
    Arduino 101 is not even powered up (i.e., power removed), so there is no way it can used to monitor Braswell's S3 or S5 state.

ccs_hello

waltervl likes this.
  7. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer