Unable to boot from USB drive

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by qubex, Jul 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. qubex

qubex New Member

Hello.

An unfortunate sequence of events (beyond the scope of this thread, but involving glitches while using dual DisplayPorts, Ubuntu 17.10 development branch, Intel Linux Graphics Update Tool, GNOME3, encryptfs, and a beta shell extension plugin) have resulted in my system being:
    • unable to login because the plugin crashes any and all window managers installed
    • unable to uninstall the plugin because encryptfs makes it impossible, through a series of complications, to access my ~/.local/ folder (mainly because I cannot mount it).
    Therefore I whipped out my trust USB thumb drive and discovered, to my horror, that for some reason I cannot induce my UDOO x86 to boot from it. Rather, it keeps booting from the stricken Linux distro installed on the M.2 SSD.

Can anybody help me?

2. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

Can't you enter BIOS screen and manually select to boot from USB?

3. qubex

qubex New Member

A lot of things were behaving very, very oddly. I was able to get to the BIOS but for some reason (despite tinkering with boot device and BIOS/UEFI modes) it wasn’t recognising the USB thumb-drive. Eventually I just physically unmounted the M.2 SSD, plugged it into another host, wiped it and installed Ubuntu 17.04 there.

4. Ghost

Ghost New Member

I have a similar problem it recognizes the thumb drive, but then I hit enter on it and it says "bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key". So it looks like it's not reading the image?

5. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Is there a way I can factory reset everything?

6. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

Currently only way is to re-install BIOS.

7. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Ok thank you