Where Do I Start?

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by dominique, Jul 1, 2017.

1. dominique

dominique Member

I am looking to mae my Udoo into a board that serves multi purposes. I want it to duel boot and give me option to either choose kodi, or some kind of retro gaming platform that will allow me to play emulators.

The problem, I have no idea where to begin. Does emulation station work on this board?

How do I get it to give me option on which to run?

Thanks in advance.

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

I believe some retro gaming solutions also included Kodi. In the end most options are just programs (game emulators, mediaplayers) installed on an OS (linux).

3. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

For example https://batocera-linux.xorhub.com/ has retro gaming and Kodi. According another thread on this forum it cannot be installed on the eMMC yet but it works when booting from USB (to test) or harddisk/SSD.

4. dominique

dominique Member

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

However, which download link do I use?

[​IMG]

5. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

The Top one: computer X86 64 bit.

6. dominique

dominique Member

Thanks. However I had stumbled across an image file with emulators, games, and even Kodi all in one. I downloaded it, mounted image, put it in Udoo, and nothing. I put it back in computer to see what was wrong. The computer said it needed to be formatted. I know this was wrong cause i correctly formatted and mounted it.

I then went into Minitool Partition and it showed the data on there and had several partitions from when I had initially mounted the image.

So... I am scratching my head on this one. When I turn on the Udoo, it is a terminal and everything says (null).

7. dominique

dominique Member

Figured it out. That IMG was meant for RPI.

Booooo.

8. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Ever tried Lakka? It works fine on UDOO X86

9. dominique

dominique Member

Downloaded Udoo Lakka image. Mounted the img and when I booted up the Udoo, I got this...

[​IMG]

10. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

type 'exit' to continue..

Once you have an OS installed this will be gone. Note there is also a small partition on your eMMC which you may want to delete and add to the full eMMC.

11. dominique

dominique Member

Thank you. However I am a noob to all this and much of what you said went over my head. I need an OS, i thought the Lakka img had one on it.

12. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

It does, at least an installable version or a live version.

You have to go to the boot menu of the BIOS and select the SD card to use as boot device, otherwise it will prefer booting from the eMMC. You can get into the BIOS menu by pressing and holding ESC on a connected USB keyboard while the board is started.

Once you've booted from the SD card you probable have some way to install Lakka. Note that I am totally not familiar with Lakka and its installation process.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  13. SteveD

SteveD Member

Yeah I saw your previous post and I think I stumbled across that same one. What I can say is that the retropie images are much more optimized than what I have seen on Linux/Windows, it still surprises me that my sbc with 10x the raw performance does slightly better in emulation, but it makes sense compared to consoles