How-To: Fan adapter cable

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by ImLagging, May 16, 2017.

1. thE_29

thE_29 Member

So, little update from my side.

The micro-JST 1.25mm connector does NOT fit. At least the one I bought from eBay.

I bought a MOLEX 51021- 0300 3 PIN (some have more or less Pins) from eBay + cables that fit in there and well it works :)

For testing I just put the 3 cables into the 3Pin adapter from the FAN and it worked on the go. And as I am to lazy to solder, I just wrapped some tape around it. Also the same with the FAN itself around the wooden plate I put on the Udoo.

Picture1: you see the micro-JST 1.25mm compared to the MOLEX 51021- 0300.
    Pic2: micro-JST cable compared to the MOLEX 51021- 0300 + 3 cables (MOLEX - 06-66-0016)
    Pic3: The 3 pre-crimped ends to fit in the adapter.
    Pic4: The other end of the cable to solder at other cables or you could use for FAN-connection: MOLEx - 22-27-2031 (I dont have it)
    Pic5: The completed cable in the Udoo. I also marked the PIN-order. For reference goto page 33 at the bottom: http://download.udoo.org/files/UDOO_X86/Doc/UDOO_X86_MANUAL.pdf
    Pic6: My completed setup with the external-power button (I dont need SATA. Have M2-SSD and will use USB3.0 external).

PS.: Sorry for bad macro-photos. Sony Z5c is really bad at it, at least mine..
    udoo2_1.jpg udoo2_2.jpg udoo2_3.jpg udoo2_4.jpg udoo2_5.jpg udoo2_6.jpg

2. SteveD

SteveD Member

I don't have the board yet myself, but I'm assuming you mean a software controlled version. It should be possible without too much difficulty, I've managed the opposite (underclock and change fan speed curve so it rarely turns on) using ubuntu. I Haven't messed with windows, but in general there's a program for it, like SpeedFan.
    As many have said in other threads, if you want the fan to always be on ( @ max) connecting to the 12V/Gnd pins is always an option

3. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

If you want to use the on board fan connector, but to always have the fan in, then you only need 2 out of the 3 wires. The yellow wire would be the one to cut.

4. thE_29

thE_29 Member

How did you manage to do that?

The only time, when my FAN activates, is when the temp is around 80° and then cools it down to 75° (within 10 secs). Which values do I have to change in the BIOS?

5. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

You can set the speed that the fan runs at and at what temps the fan will run in the BIOS. I don't remember exactly where this is, but it's under Thermal settings.

6. thE_29

thE_29 Member

Yeah. I already found that. You have 3 values. One is thermal thing, which is at 80°. The other 2 are something called XX0 and XX1 (if I remember correctly).
    I already went down 5° but it did not change anything at all, but I kept the thermal value at 80°. The other is 70° and 65°.. Will try to lower it even more.

7. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

8. wsian

wsian New Member

Actually I'm connecting with 2 wires 12v/Gnd only. When booting up and entering into the bios setting the fan will turn on with maximum speed. However, once windows 10 start up, the fan will stop. It will only turn on when the heat sink becomes very hot. I suppose this is when the cpu rise up to 55°C, which I had set in AC1 Temperature (55°C). As this setting is saying : Select the lowest temperature under which the onboard fan must be OFF,
    As 55°C is the lowest that you can set, I believe this setting will cause the fan to turning on & off around this value. As the 3rd wire is controlling the speed, I doubt it has anything to do with turning on & off the fan.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  9. thE_29

thE_29 Member

Ah!! The same happened to me.. And I even showed it to a friend, like "when I dont attach the control-speed wire, the fan should always go at full rpm". When Win10 booted, the FAN just turned off :D :D

I already have the latest firmware/BIOS. Will try some tests tonight, but my test results currently are: CPU-Prime95 tests, just CPU and it will always be around 79° down to 74-75°, within 5-10 seconds FAN power up time.

Also when the FAN-duty cycle was at 75%, the fan just made 2-4 spins and then off..

10. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

I ha
    I have AC1 set to 55, AC0 set to 80 and Fan Duty Cycle set to 50. Once the temp gets to 55, the fan turns on at half speed for a time then turns off when the temp is back under 55.

Fuzzyroll and thE_29 like this.
  11. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

Reading the manual, it seems that if AC1 is set to Disabled, then fan should be on permanently (which was asked earlier in this thread).

12. wsian

wsian New Member

Try that. Still same. I think disabled means fan is disabled totally. :D

13. wsian

wsian New Member

I wonder the AC1 settings could have more selection at lower temperature (may be 30°C). Probably this will enable the fan to be permanently on as the heat sink will never get below 30°C

14. wsian

wsian New Member

Submitted a support ticket to request bios setting for AC1 with lower temperature. Till now no reply.
    Seems that the comment regarding udoo poor customer support is true.

15. jura

jura New Member

If you need always on fan, why not just connecting it to CN12, pin15? No need for special connector..

16. wsian

wsian New Member

Just want to fully explore the feature since it is a proper fan connector. The connector is not difficult to find. Some cmos battery on boards are with this type of wire / connector.

17. ThomasOu

ThomasOu Member

I bought an old laptop fan from eBay. The fan connector in UDOO x86 is the same as those for laptop. I cut the cable from the fan and connected it to a 12V fan. So that I can get a fan cable for UDdon't have to buy separate housing header&wire. The fan used is a 5015 12V turbine blower. It fits the heatsink in height but couldn't cover the heatsink in length. I think using a blower is better than mounting an extra fan above heatsink because it doesn't add extra height of the board and also it is still lower than heatsink after fixing a blower. The only drawback is the blower does hinder the GPIO header in one side. I am going to fix the blower on plate using hot glue, drilling 2 holes in plate and fixing it by screw might also be feasible. The durability test is also attached. The temperature can be controlled under 55C when the fan starts, then goes down to 51C and fan stops.Temperature rises again.

20170623_162909.jpg
    20170623_163745.jpg
    捕获.JPG

18. x1800MODMY360x

x1800MODMY360x Member

Too bad the heatsink is not turn 90 degrees to maximize the air flow, in your case.

19. kindiss

kindiss Member

I can offer fan 30x30x10 3 wires compatible udoo x86 socket. It will be available on my website soon.

20. MrGarapablo

MrGarapablo New Member

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017