How to get audio to work on Udoo X86 HDMI port?

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Erik Christiansen, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Erik Christiansen

Erik Christiansen New Member

Debian 9.0.0 installed fine on the M.2 SSD of my shiny new Udoo X86, and the video performance in firefox 52.2.0 leaves my old host for dead - but there's no audio on the HDMI, either with HDMI cable or HDMI to VGA adaptor + stereo audio cable. (Monitor switched to HDMI vs VGA, to suit, as confirmed by video working fine.)

Clicking on "Sound & Video" -> "PulseAudio Volume Control" menu item, and setting "Firefox AudioStream" to 100% (0dB) still delivers only utter silence. And yet the VU-meter bar under that control is flapping about vigorously, so there's audio coming from firefox - it's just stuck in there.
    The "Output Devices" tab provides two options at "Port":
    Speakers
    Headphones (unplugged)
    but just confirms that the audio component of HDMI is implicit, hopefully.

The monitor's volume control is set to 60%, as 100% of even 2.5 W/channel would be a bit much, once we clear the dead rat in the audio plumbing. But where can it be?

P.S. An aside: Don't try to install from a debian "Live" .iso - that locks up in an endless loop, insisting on finding a CDROM.

2. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

No, I don't think it is. You need to see HDMI as an audio component.

3. Erik Christiansen

Thank you, Maurice - that's a clue.

Another half day of researching and debugging shows that it's not just firefox - feeding a .wav file to aplay elicits a "playing" message, but no sound. The Udoo hardware is recognised:
    $ aplay -L # shows:

Playback/recording through the Pulseaudio sound server
    hdmi:Card=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
    hdmi:Card=PCH,DEV=1
    HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 1
    HDMI Audio Ouput
    hdmi:Card=PCH,DEV=2
    HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 2
    HDMI Audio Output

We just need to tell the debian audio suite that it's there. This page: https://itsfoss.com/how-to-fix-no-sound-through-hdmi-in-external-monitor-in-ubuntu/ says that changing the default output can fix the problem. But on the LXDE desktop there is no "system settings" menu item, and "Sound & Video" offers no way to change the default. It also doesn't show HDMI as an available output, even when playing a youtube video.

It is Soooooo frustrating to have waited 7 months for my little Udoo, so I can stream video, but now there's no sound.
    I'll dig some more, and try again on the debian list, but there's not a bite there.

4. Robert Pearson

Robert Pearson Member

5. Erik Christiansen

Thank you, Robert, it might well do. However, I have now stumbled over a deeply hidden but simple fix. The "Sound & Video" -> "PulseAudio Volume Control" menu item has only 3 tabs, and the "Output Ports" tab offered no management/configuration possibilities.
    But there are two tiny dark triangles, and the RH one leads to hidden tabs; "Input Devices", and on clicking again, "Configuration". There, in a "Profile" selection box, it is possible to select "Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output". Once selected, it even seems to be the power-on default. (Much to my surprise, given the user-hostile perversity of the devious GUI design.)

I'll see if I can find a way to affix [Solved] to the title of this thread.

Even at 100% volume on the monitor, and 100% in "PulseAudio Volume Control", the sound is not loud. I'll have to see if I can raise the output level from the latter somehow.

Markus Laire likes this.