CPU Fan

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Intermez, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Intermez

Intermez New Member

CPU fan only runs briefly at startup. Never runs again and heatsink getting rather hot. Is there any way to adjust when it starts to run vs temp?

CPU is N3160, running Win 7 64 bit.

Thanks, Intermez

2. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

"AC1" temperature in BIOS sets the temperature at which fan will start but unfortunately lowest setting is 55 C.

There is also "disabled" option for AC1 which in my opinion should keep fan always on, but instead shuts down fan completely (according to other comments on this forum, I didn't test this yet). (@Laura another thing to fix in BIOS)

Default setting is higher that 55 C, so you can lower it to 55 C, but if that doesn't help then you can't do anything else.

3. Lord Arach

Lord Arach New Member

4. Intermez

Intermez New Member

Thanks Marcus, will set it as low as I can now. Really don't like hot semiconductors, definitely shortens their like.

5. milaremi

milaremi New Member

https://goo.gl/KZPF7F

I don't know about your experiences, but the Udoo supplied fan is quite loud for such a little bugger. And yes, it needs a BIOS fix to spin up and make a racket a little earlier ( @Laura ). So, if you've got a spare USB port (I added a USB3 hub to my ultra) and don't mind the inconvenience - plug in one of these:

https://goo.gl/7S4Rkv

It's beautifully silent and cheap. My processor hasn't topped out over 53 degrees (C) with it.

Otherwise, this little Ultra board is happy to help me run my business in the office (Win10) then come home with me for Kodi (XMBC) enjoyment (Ubuntu). Next up, Mobile use with some version of AndroidX86 for on the road. I love it, thanks Udoo!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    Lord Arach likes this.
  6. Lord Arach

Lord Arach New Member

I have one of these plugged into the back of my TV for my old Fire Stick. I didn't even think to get another for the UDOO.

milaremi likes this.
  7. x1800MODMY360x

x1800MODMY360x Member

Ive modded the Bios to change the temp, changed the 55 temp for AC1 to 25. Now runs 100%

8. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

How did you mod the BIOS?

9. x1800MODMY360x

x1800MODMY360x Member

Dump it, used several programs to strip it and figure out where in hex to change the value and compile it back to the format and flashed it.

10. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

Please provide the tools that you've used to do this. :)

rotorbudd likes this.
  11. Lord Arach

Lord Arach New Member

Extremely adequate.

Attached Files:

12. wsian

wsian New Member

Yes, the firmware update bundle with softwares that supposedly create custom bios. However, don't have the knowledge to do it by my own. Appreciate you will be able to provide a helping hand for the guide. Actually I had requested udoo to have the AC1 with lower value. They replied will consider in the next firmware update but who knows when.

13. SteveD

SteveD Member

Hey Nice, I would have just opted to go with the arduino pins. Editing the bios sounds a few levels above me, but did you change an entry, or the entire setup?, it would be nice to get an official firmware that has a range of 35-60.

Interesting side note, I've had trouble with my os (may have been the sd card) not being seen, and left running overnight that way, it must have run the cpu near max load, but the fan never switched on, it's really pushing me towards an independent cooling solution

14. x1800MODMY360x

x1800MODMY360x Member

I've edit the 55 value to be 32, can't really add any values since I'm hex editing the exe for settings.

15. tuxun

tuxun Member

16. Karmus

Karmus New Member

I succesfully managed to get Android-x86 7.1 RC1 up and running on Udoo X86 Ultra (using Legacy boot mode). Runs smooth and very stable, only minor bugs. Please take precautions about the screen rotation. Preferably install an application to rotate it manually and lock it in Landscape mode. And avoid using the lock screen without having access to multiple pointing peripherals. Oh, and by the way activate Developer options and enable the "Stay awake" function to prevent the device from going to hibernation from time to time when exceeding the time limit for sleep mode.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017