Any estimate when firmware 1.03 will be available?

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Toley, Jul 4, 2017.

1. hseldon

hseldon New Member

@Laura, can you give us any update and a (possibly final) ETA?

Yes, UDOO may be a small company, but I think they should nonetheless deliver on their promises to the KS backers. They may have some problems in the software department, I think it's quite obvious, but what bothers me is the practically lacking community involvement (wasn't this Laura's job?).

Robert Pearson likes this.
  2. Robert Pearson

Robert Pearson Member

It's all abouyt

I don't think you understand how small they are... According to LinkedIn, Laura works for Aidilab, and Udoo / Seco are subsidiaries of that, based on domain name and wiki info. Udoo.org is probably a 1-2 hour a month job, and other business lines at Aidilab take up most of her time. Looking at this, my estimate of 4-8 people working at Udoo is probably grossly overestimated.

I personally want 2-4 more of the Udoo x86, to play with some grid computing / storage, but won't buy any more until they fix the fan speed issue in the BIOS. Udoo's promise was to deliver a computer to us, in return for our investment dollars. That has happened, and it feels like 95-98% of the people are happy with the deliverable. Udoo never said they would fix every possible bug fix within a specific period of time. What specific promise do you think they made?

3. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

WRONG - Udoo promised to deliver a specific product, not just "a computer". They have not delivered on e.g. the promise that this computer can be powered on/off from Intel Curie side (this has been promised for 1.03 update).

They don't need to say that they will fix every bug as it is expected without saying that they fix every important bug within reasonable time.

hseldon and Fuzzyroll like this.
  4. Robert Pearson

Robert Pearson Member

Where was that "promised"? Show me a quote for the specific product you are talking about. I don't see a promise on the kickstarter site for that. I only see HW specs for Curie, relative to your example. I see that they are working on an update related in 1.03, but not a promise that they will work tirelessly on it, until completed in a specific timeframe.

They aren't obligated to fix important bugs timely. We don't have an ongoing support contract with Udoo with defined SLAs. We hope that they would fix important updated regularly, but in reality they aren't obligated to do so. They don't *need* to release another BIOS / firmware / driver update ever again.

Attached Files:

5. Markus Laire

Are you blind? Kickstarter page for UDOO X86 has animated image about this feature showing that this is considered a MAJOR feature. Under that image it is said that "The interconnection between the two systems is the distinctive feature of UDOO, and this time we have pushed this interaction even further. The board is designed to allow the Arduino™ 101-compatible microcontroller to run when the powerful CPU is powered off, and wake it up when something's happened in the world."

While we don't have support contract with UDOO, UDOO is required to deliver that what we paid for - or give money back.

hseldon likes this.
  6. Robert Pearson

Robert Pearson Member

Kickstarter ToU
    "When a project is successfully funded, the creator must complete the project and fulfill each reward. Once a creator has done so, they’ve satisfied their obligation to their backers."

They have fulfilled the reward, according to the KS ToU. I want 1.03 as described just as much as you do, but they aren't obligated to provide it in 2 days, 2 weeks, or 2 months.

7. Markus Laire

No, THEY HAVE NOT FULFILLED REWARDS. I have not received the reward I paid for, so according to KS ToU they must do so, or offer refund.

goldio and hseldon like this.
  8. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Looks like it is available now!
    https://www.udoo.org/docs-x86/Advanced_Topics/UEFI_update.html

Release notes:
    Code:
      - Always force FastBoot (Correct issue of periodic NVS garbage collection in boards without cmos battery)
      - TPM timeout decreased
      - Batteryless poweron reset
      - Added setup options for keeping FAN always on
      - Added CEC interrupt support
      - Corrected bug "Curie PowerOff when entering in S3 or S5 state"
      - IRDA enabling and IRDA Power Management feature can now be enabled separately
      - Firmware 0A
        * Added CEC management aligned with SECO CEC Framework
        * Corrected bug in CEC & IRDA CPU interrupt management
        * Correction in CURIE_WAKE management for powering off the board for avoiding unwanted CPU shutdown or suspension
        * Smbus management optimization
        * Access to EEPROM now managed with size of 1 Byte
        * Corrected Bug in Curie PowerOn management after boot (GPIO pin remained in a non-coherent state with configuration selected by BIOS setup)
    See the following page for the documentation changes (I see not all changes are documented yet (CEC, IRDA, FAN options))
    https://github.com/UDOOboard/X86-Docs/commit/6227322fafc807764426c1d9028736baf378ca5c

@Laura, will there be an official introduction coming?

LDighera, Fuzzyroll and Markus Laire like this.
  9. Markus Laire

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    krazy4it, stecolumna and Maurice like this.
  10. Markus Laire

There is now great documentation about fan options INSIDE BIOS ITSELF (is this new, or did I just not notice this earlier?) - go to e.g. AC1 and on right you see description of different options.

11. Fuzzyroll

Fuzzyroll New Member

Great news! Will update after i get home from work :cool:

12. SteveD

SteveD Member

awesome, a little late for me to mess with it though, at this point I'll have to wait until September to flash it, but I'll be really happy to see the fan working as expected, and wake from arduino is going to be a huge boon for I/O automation+sql+IoT

13. stecolumna

stecolumna UDOOer

Dear Markus Laire

Thanks for your instructions.
    I have successfully update my firmware from 1.02 to 1.03 version.

14. dhester

dhester New Member

Markus
    Great script made updating very easy.
    Thank you very much

15. tuxun

tuxun Member

<<(alternatively can also use full URL in case my iet.fi domain ever stops working:>>
    Maybe udoo could host a copy on this script on a shorter url?

16. Markus Laire

My script requires downloading Linux ISO (which can be 1.5 GB) unless you already have Linux installed and also requires internet connection during updating.

If UDOO wants to offer easy way to update, then it would make more sense for them to offer a small ISO which includes all needed files and can auto-update the UEFI BIOS. For example based on FreeDOS to keep it small. (For legal reasons it might not be possible for anyone else to offer such download - but I havn't really checked if there are any legal terms in BIOS files.)

17. tuxun

tuxun Member

Oh yes, I already have it installed.

I copy pasted your bash command on my udoo directly, (instead of retype it) I just thought an easier to remember url linking to your script would be usefull (=easier to type and remember without make mistake), and it would solve the "domain may one day expire issue".

I didnt notice the script could download an iso if not under linux

18. krys

krys New Member

19. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

It works for me. Are you behind a firewall?

20. krys

krys New Member

Allirght. It works from a different computer.