[SOLVED] update bricked my udoo quad

Discussion in 'UDOO 101' started by va-matt, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. va-matt

va-matt New Member

I was excited to get home from work, cook dinner, put my baby daughter to bed and update my udoo. I ssh'ed in, wgot the file, untarred it, ran the script...

So far so good. Even gave it a token "sync" before rebooting. Issued the reboot command. Ssh session died, as expected. Waited a bit - got a glass of water. Back at the laptop, tried to ssh back in...

Nothing. Tried to ping. Nothing. Hooked it up to the monitor. Nothing. Crap. Reset button. Nothing. Unplugged, plugged back in. Nothing. Unplugged, waited a couple minutes (cold boot couldn't hurt?), plugged back in. Nothing.

I guess my next step is to flash a spare microSD and see if it boots from that. I had a fair bit of stuff installed, and was working on some python projects, and I guess so long as I can mount the card on my laptop, nothing is lost, just the inconvenience of it.

Anyone else having similar issues?

Matthew

2. andcmp

andcmp New Member

Re: update bricked my udoo quad

That's strange and I'm sorry that this maybe spoiled your plans for the evening! ;)

Try to flash another micro SD and let me know if then it works!

3. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

after i performed the update the 'sudo reboot' command was not enough to actually restart it. i had to actually pull the power and plug it back in.
    Other than that it was fine, i had no issues, and my UDOO is running now with the update applied.

4. Xykon

Xykon Member

I'm not sure if this is caused by the update but... If I boot my udoo without a keyboard and mouse directly attached the gui doesn't come up. I can see it booting via the serial console though don't get a prompt until I connect the keyboard and mouse. This also happens when I use a hub to connect the keyboard and mouse.

For a first troubleshooting it would be good if you can connect to the serial console and post the output (if any). This way you can make sure the HW isn't damaged and it's actually able to read uboot from your msd card.

5. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

I tested this on mine, which i applied the update, and i can boot to a gui with no USB devices connected

6. va-matt

va-matt New Member

Sorry for the long gap here - but I finally had some free time to mess around - the sdcard partitions got hosed - "bad magic superblock". Since there was nothing critical on the card, I blew it away, dd'ed the newest image, and I'm back up. No problems with the Udoo itself, just the sdcard, likely from not halting the system properly once and just pulling the power cord. FWIW.

Matt

7. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

very good, thanks for the follow up.
    For others reading its not likely to actually "brick" the UDOO from these types of updates, at worse you have to redo the SD card, so make sure you create copies/backups often. The same process used to write the SD card can usually be used to create a new image file you can keep as a backup.

But i see this as being a resolved thread, lets mark as solved and close.

8. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Glad to hear that. I'll mark it as [SOLVED]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.