Installing Bios ver 1.03

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by James Hancock, Aug 9, 2017.

1. James Hancock

James Hancock New Member

I downloaded the bios install package for ver 1.03 today. I followed the install procedure and always received the message that it completed and to reboot system to load the new bios. After completing the reboot, I reboot again to confirm the version number only to find the old 1.02 still showing. I have gone through this procedure 3 times and still no success. What could I be doing wrong? I have the Ultra running windows
    10 and am trying to install the 64 bit version. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Hmm I have to check what my Bios is telling about version number. One way to extra check is to see if you have the F9, reset to defaults function in Bios (new in v1.0.3)

3. wsian

wsian New Member

Make sure you run command prompt as administrator, else the updater program will still be running but no actual update.

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

You better make a bootable freedos USB stick (with the tool Rufus), put the DOS update files from the zip on the USB stick (see also instructions in the PDF in the zip) . Start Udoo X86 from the USB stick and update. This is the easiest way to update, can't go wrong..... No hassle with rights, compilers etc.

Markus Laire likes this.
  5. James Hancock

James Hancock New Member

Good morning too Waltervl and Wsian. Thank you both for your swift replies and very helpful information. In my case, an assumption kicked
    my butt again. I kept overlooking the administrator requirement when opening a command window. Thank you Wsian for jogging my memory. Thank you Waltervl for your USB memory stick idea. I intend to use your update method in the future.
    Again, I can't thank you both enough for your help.

6. Göran Andersson

Göran Andersson New Member

Excuse me for a potential stupid question - why do I need to boot from a USB stick without installing to update Bios, I have Ubuntu 16.04 LTS installed already?

7. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

You don't need to, you can as well use your installed OS.

I just recommend booting from USB because I have tested that Ubuntu 16.10 contains all the necessary files needed by updater - if using other OS you might need to install some required packages first.

(ps. I havn't tested FreeDOS method yet.)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  8. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Using Linux updater, gcc compiler and Kernel-headers are needed and every operation must be done with root/administrator privileges. So you need a script like Markus created.

In DOS it is just boot and run update.bat