J4 onboard fan pinout

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by venkatbo, Nov 14, 2013.

1. venkatbo

venkatbo Member

Folks,

Pardon my limited hw knowledge, but have a couple of questions on the onboard J4 connector wrt to adding an external fan...

Got a typical PC 40mm x 40mm 12v fan presuming it can be used. So checked out the Intel motherboard fan hdr pinout at:
    http://www.intel.com/support/motherboar ... 012074.htm
    Looks like:

• Pin 1: Ground
      Pin 2: +12 V
      Pin 3: Fan Tachometer

However, the UDOO quad schematics doc seems to imply:

• Pin 1: +5V (VCC_SW, and not VCC_IN [presumably system input voltage 12V]),
      Pin 2: Ground ?
      Pin 3: Unused ?

'am I reading the schematics right and if so:

• 1. Can a 3 pin off-the-shelf fan cable not be found due to varying pinouts - don't know whose (Intel's or UDOO's) is non-standard here :),
      2. If one has to make their own cable, presumably a cable for UDOO pinout (noted above ok ?) should be made - crimping tool is ~$60 (ouch), and
      3. Can a typical 12v PC fan not be used on this board. Should it be a 5V fan then ?

thanks.

2. Shorack

Shorack New Member

1. The Udoo team seems to be very fond of obscure (or at least unpopular?) connectors. Most fans have 2 or 3 pins with a spacing that does not match the connector on Udoo.

2. What i did, is using male-to-male jumpwires (cheap!). I plugged one end in the connector of the fan itself and the other ends into the 5v and ground on the Udoo pin headers. If you really want to connect to the Udoo fan connector, go for male-to-female jumpwires, but i suspect that the pins might be too close to each other.
    Note that i ignored the Tachometer pin. (the blue cable usually)

12V is the maximum. Most (if not all) of them will also spin at 5V, albeit much slower. But my experience with a 70mm fan gives enough cooling to keep the heatsink pleasant.

Also, i've also done something else in the past: plugged into the 2 pins on Udoo that are actually foreseen as an alternative way to power Udoo. Those are 12V. :p I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS IS HEALTHY! But after an hour, everything was still running.

3. venkatbo

venkatbo Member

Thanks shorack for info and idea re the jumper wires... will try the jumper wires, but hopefully will not damage the pins on the J4 hdr.

So, if using a typical PC fan on the UDOO with jumpers - would it look like so:

Wanted to check before blowing up something on the board ;?)
    thanks.

Attached Files:

4. andcmp

andcmp New Member

Yes, I can confirm the J4 pinout. Following your numbering: 1 +5V, 2 GND, 3 unused (not wired).

5. venkatbo

venkatbo Member

Thanks for the confirmation.
    /v