Can't install Windows 10 on M2 SSD

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Mark B, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Mark B

Mark B New Member

Folks,

I have an Udoo X86 with the supplied Transcend 128GB M2 SSD. I was able to load Ubuntu on the internal memory after some help from the group and upgrading the BIOS. Now I am trying to install Windows on the M2 SSD. When I get to the point of choosing where to install Windows, I see Drive 0 with 119.2 GB, and can partition the unallocated space and format it (or at least it changes from unallocated to system, and then the format takes about 10 seconds.)

However, after partioning and formatting the M2 SSD, I press "next" to install, and I get an error message that says the installer could not find a partition, or make one. At this point, no combination of partition sizes or formatting appears to have any effect - the installer says it can't make or find the partition and will not proceed.

Any thoughts? I also see a Drive 2, but assume that is the internal memory, so do not want to touch that.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark

2. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

I had this problem. It was caused by the fact that the installer wanted to create a EFI system partition on the EMMC device. I solved it by deleting all partitions and then installing Windows went OK. After installing Windows I reinstalled Ubuntu to the EMMC device leaving alone the partition that Windows created there. This had the advantage that when Ubuntu was reinstalled it was able to automatically set GRUB up to support dual booting of Windows and Ubuntu.

In retrospect I think there is some sort of bug in the Windows installer that stops it creating the EFI partition on the SSD. Perhaps manually creating such a partition (around 500 MB in size) first on the SSD would have been an alternative, but I did not test this theory out.

3. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

Might very well be true. Given that most Windows installations are done by the computer's manufacturer it might be that the Windows installer development team did never really consider this situation, or did not consider it a priority.

4. Mangasora

Mangasora New Member

Hi.I installed it in the following way :
    Format the GPT partition style disk.
    With the help of Rufus make a bootable disk.
    Follow the instructions from the system.

Attached Files:

5. Mark B

Mark B New Member

Much thanks for pointing me in that direction. I did the same thing - deleted all partitions, installed Windows, and then (after some fiddling with the EMMC partitions) was able to install Ubuntu. My experience was exactly what you described - I chose the option to not install "along side Windows 10" but to manipulate the remaining space on the EMMC drive - GRUB was installed automatically. At this point, the machine boots into GRUB and its a simple matter to select who completes the boot. Thanks again for the insight.

Mark

6. Mark B

Mark B New Member

Thanks for the reply. Although I decided to go a different route, your response has led me to look more closely at Rufus, as I was not aware of this approach and that software.

Mark

7. FrankSW9

FrankSW9 New Member

Hi Mark, sorry to resurrect this thread. But currently facing the same problem, I am trying to install Windows 10 on the Transcend 128GB M2 SSD with no luck. Tried both deleting and formatting the existing partitions but no results... Any tips will be much appreciated!

8. Mark B

Mark B New Member

Frank, let me go look at the notes I made. My recollection was that I followed the loose steps outlined by "itimpi" as echoed in my e-mail, but I do recall a couple of intermediate steps. Let me see if I can dig those up in the hopes they provide you with an answer.

Mark

9. Nozavi

Nozavi New Member

I'd really appreciate an official tutorial here, because the (default) Windows installation DOES NOT WORK on m2 SSDs and I don't see any proper guides on how to solve this issue.

10. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

What is different in your case from the instructions and video's from the following instruction page, chapter four (installing OS)? https://www.udoo.org/get-started-x86/

If you have no other OS installed it should work as described there.

11. Nozavi

Nozavi New Member

The M2 drive formatted by Windows is seen by the UUDO BIOS as "legacy", it doesn't show up in the UEFI boot manager (unless I enable legacy boot - and even then, booting from it doesn't work).

I've created an USB drive with Windows 10 (GPT/UEFI)
    UUDO successfully sees and boots from said USB drive
    The entire setup process (creating partitions, copying files, etc) seems to work just fine
    However, when Windows reboots the device - to continue/finish the installation - it does NOT boot to the M2 SSD and, as I've mentioned before, the M2 drive is not listed as a boot option (unless I enable legacy).

I've even considered using an MBR (non-GPT) USB drive to install Windows, but that doesn't work either, since the M2 drive uses GPT (Needless to say, I didn't really care if this method worked or not, since I want to use GPT)

12. Nozavi

Nozavi New Member

I forgot to mention that I've used one of my 2.5" SSDs and installed Windows without any problems.

That's why I've posted and clearly specified that M2 SSDs seem to be the problem (as several other users have already pointed out).

Since I can't continue using the 2.5" drive, I'd like a solution for the M2 drive.

Thank you

13. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

14. Nozavi

Nozavi New Member

That's a different problem. When booting from either an Ubuntu or Windows microSD card, I can see my m2 drive and install Ubuntu or Windows to it.

However, after rebooting, the m2 drive is only displayed as legacy and any attempts of booting from it result in error (for both Windows and Ubuntu), which is not surprising since I'm attempting to boot in legacy mode from an OS installed in EFI mode.

In other words, when booting, I never managed to see my m2 drive in EFI mode. The udoo bios ALWAYS displays it as legacy at boot.

15. Stefano73

Stefano73 UDOOer

Hi all,
    I resumed this old thread to find a solution for the same problem described by Nozavi
    I have installed without problem Windows 10 on M.2 SDD and it start regularly
    Now I want to install Ubuntu 19.10 on EMMC:
    1. configured an usb stick 8GB with the installer
    2. started it from boot manager using "Linpus Lite (General UDisk)" (at this moment I can see also "Windows boot Manager (TCSUNBOW N4 240GB)" under EFI Boot Devices)
    3. select "Try Ubuntu without installing (safe graphics)" (In normal mode I cannot see the interface)
    4. after boot I checked the disks and I can see "/dev/mmcblk0" without partitions and "/dev/sda" with all windows partitions
    5. "Install Ubuntu" and follow the wizard
    6. installation completed successfully
    After reboot, in Boot Manger I can see only Windows and "Internal EFI Shell" under EFI Boot Devices

I tried several installer options, install alongside Windows or formatting disk with LVM, etc..
    In all cases in the Boot Manger I cannot see any new voice for Ubuntu :(

can anyone help me out of the tunnel?

16. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Dus you try to install Ubuntu first and then install Windows 10? If I remember correctly this was a necessary installation order in the old days. Grub will handle the startup choice (Ubuntu/Windows) after that.

17. Stefano73

Stefano73 UDOOer

I'm not sure how installing Windows after Ubuntu can change the Grub settings.
    Moreover I already have installed Windows 10 how you can read in my post and more importantly I no longer want Windows installed!

I remember when I purchased Udoo that I can use it with only one Linux operating system. Is that not possible?

18. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

19. Stefano73

Stefano73 UDOOer

Please read carefully what I wrote in my first post and do not look for answers not related to my questions:
    I want to install Ubuntu, alone, on the internal EMMC 32GB disk without Windows or other OS.

Thanks for your support

20. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Please read my answer carefully