Battery and DC-IN connectors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tibmeister, Nov 15, 2013.

1. tibmeister

tibmeister New Member

Ok, so let's start with the Batt connector. I'm assuming it's for the RTC, as such, is it 3V, 6V, etc? I have found a nice 3.7V LiPO battery with a JST connector already installed, so this seems like a nice fit if the 3.7V is ok. Also, is the Batt connector able to provide a charging current as well, or not?
    Now, the DC-IN. I'm assuming that's a battery connection for the board, so probably 12V? Also, is it capable of charging an attached battery?

2. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

the batt connection is only for adding a battery for the RTC it doesn't do any charging or anything, i think the intent here was a setup with a button battery or something but im sure a small lipo will work all the same

the DC-IN is meant as a connection to power the board at the recommended 7-12v. This connection is best used when you are powering your board from a battery with a JST. There are many ways to do this if you want. A lot of RC car batteries will already have the right connector or you can add the JST connector yourself. There are a couple similar threads on this topic.

3. tibmeister

tibmeister New Member

Wanted to make sure the EXT BATT connection did not have a charging circuit so adding a Lithium Ion 3V battery wouldn't cause an issue. As for the DC IN, still wondering if it had a charging circuit. It would be nice to act as an on-board UPS, so when the main's fail, the board can run on the battery until it hits a certian amount then power down nicely. When main's are restored, it can power back up and start charging the battery.

4. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

I dont believe it has charging circuit but you can have the dc-in to a battery and the barrel jack to the wall at the same time, you cant charge the battery with this setup