size limitations of SD Card?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by htsauce, Nov 19, 2013.

1. htsauce

htsauce New Member

i just got mine in the mail, and am very happy, i have a small card to get it going, but am wondering , whats the max size capacity the udoo can register?
    16 gb-32 gb-64gb ......?micro sd
    please and thank you ,
    and is circle 10 speeds acceptable for this application?

and if desired , can it boot from sata, and is there support or setup for ssd/traditional hard drives?

2. andcmp

andcmp New Member

Re: size limitations?

The limit for UDOO should be the SDXC limit (≥32 GB to 2 TB), we ran few tests with 32 and 64GB microSD and everything went fine.
    If you need to buy a microSD I'll suggest a Class 10 microSD but also lower class work (e.g. Class 4), with slightly lower performances.

At the moment is not possible to boot from SATA but you can boot from the microSD then run the file system from SATA.
    http://www.elinux.org/UDOO_boot_from_sata

3. mkopack

mkopack Member

Just to add to what andcmp was saying at the end there - if you go the SATA route (Quad only), then you can get away with a pretty small uSD card (doesn't even need to be all that fast since it's only used for kicking off the boot process) and go with a SATA hard drive or even SSD. That's what I did (SSD), and the performance difference IS noticeable, particularly when moving large files around.

4. htsauce

htsauce New Member

awsome, thanks guys, im ordering a 64gb c10 today, and hopefully able to partition it in two as to dual boot linux and andriod, is there any complications with this? or setting it up? i have a quad, i had a 2gb, but thats not enoufe for anything, but dsl (dam small linux) , im wondering if hirens boot cd would load on it, not nessarry though,

sounds like a good method for the ssd, i might get a 60 gb one we have at work for cheap and do that, and use the 64 for os, ssd for data , i was reading on the backtrack thing, or the new one, and if that will run on udoo, then i could load the lib files and have a hand held cracker, lol (my idea for the pi)

thanks for the replys. very usefull

5. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Keep an eye on Amazon gold box deals, at least once a week there are some sort of deal on SD cards.. if nothing else spares are always good to have so you dont have to re-image your 1 SD card when you want to change things

6. htsauce

htsauce New Member

got 3 for $25 each, circle 10, 32gb, (an extra for the old ladys phone for music lol) justified me buying mine haha

any ways , if i partition it to 2 partitions, one w android, one with ubuntu, what would i have to do to make it ask when i boot? is there a bois type deal?

7. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

A boot menu is what your asking for.

Not available in the current boot loader (uboot 2009.08 iirc).

Team UDOO are busy working on uboot 2013.10 (iirc). Boot menus are in that, and cross fingers they find time to implement that, test and validate it. If not the Community will come up with a solution as many of us want that.

8. josolanes

josolanes New Member

Otherwise you can change the root partition from within uboot with:

setenv root root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 (default, first partition on the uSD card)
    setenv root root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 (second partition)
    setenv root root=/dev/mmcblk0p3
    etc, etc

You would do this from within a serial connection from another computer

Most pertinent information is from: http://elinux.org/UDOO_boot_from_sata
    (Preparing U-Boot)

9. htsauce

htsauce New Member

thankyou for the reply, i will try that soon,

10. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member