Change heatsink

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by ColonelXZ, Jun 8, 2017.

1. ColonelXZ

ColonelXZ New Member

2. Wilson

Wilson New Member

There's two black plastic clips holding it into the board. You just need to use pliers to squeeze the tip of each clip from the back of the board so it will fit back through the hole in the PCB. No problems.

Why liquid cool a 6 watt chip though? That seems like killing an ant with an RPG.

3. SteveD

SteveD Member

"because overkill is underrated"

bodgyuk and Wilson like this.
  4. Brad

Brad New Member

My goal is to replace that entire plastic protective "cover" (the one with the UDOO hand logo) on the top with a metal version that then attaches to the CPU.

I figure that'd be a big enough chunk of metal to dissipate some heat. I'd even make it thicker in some areas (like near the CPU and ethernet) but not too tall to obstruct the Arduino headers. Optionally have it wrap around the side(s) to turn the bottom into a heat sink in case you compute a lot or have it in a confined space.

Who's got some CNC skills? :)

5. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

Just keep in mind that a heat sink works from having fins, not a thick piece of flat metal. The fins create more surface area which allows for air to come in contact with the metal.

6. Brad

Brad New Member

@ImLagging -- Indeed! I'm looking for something like this heat sink that'd be cut with the outline of the plastic plate. Seems a little complex but not too difficult to CNC. Says the person with ZERO experience with a CNC...:)
    upload_2017-6-9_8-35-48.png
    [Image taken from here.]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  7. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

Just making sure. Having the picture makes it easier to visualize what you're trying to do. :)

8. SteveD

SteveD Member

I've seen a few videos for diy heatsinks, no a CNC would not be difficult, but depending on the accuracy and size of the cutting head, the "fins" may turn out much thicker (as are the gaps between the fins) The time it takes to CNC it would be long though (something like 12 hours of milling for a copper block).

I made a quick and dirty heatsink for a 5W LED array light by grabbing a few U channels and attaching them to a metal base.
    http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=53082936

Please send pictures as the project continues!

9. ColonelXZ

ColonelXZ New Member

I wanted to create an enclosed case that would be protected from the elements, save for the cables and waterpipes.

Trying a new concept in robotics, using the X86 as its thinking head, since the arduino is connected directly to the board, with a combination with Unreal Engine 4 arduino plug-in.

Better than having to rely on a usb cable. Also, the boards can stack, increasing in power with smaller increments of used space.

Longshot, but found a company that sells modified watercooling parts, ModMyMods. They done a Raspberry pi waterblock, why not an Udoo x86 board, and more?

10. ColonelXZ

ColonelXZ New Member

Try looking at ModMyMods. They do custom computer parts. Watercooling too, even for a raspberry pi board.