Boot on SD card works only after Ctrl-Alt-Suppr

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Stéphane Lecorné, Sep 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jorge

Jorge New Member

Any news?

2. dominique

dominique Member

This is pretty ridiculous. I have owned my x86 for several months and I have literally never used it. I deem this a complete waste of money. I download udoo Ubantu image off this web page and correctly mount it. It doesnt work when I use the internal micro SD card slot. I then switched to a USB converter (via suggestion of this thread) and still... nothing.

Beyond frustrated.

3. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

There is no special Udoobuntu version for the Udoo X86 as the Udoo X86 can use any Linux version that is compatible with the X86 architecture. Do not blaim Udoo that you can't read.

You have to download it from the Ubuntu website (or Mint, redhat, Fedora etc). See also https://www.udoo.org/get-started-x86/

Also you hacked now a thread about another subject so please do not answer me here but start a new discussion.

4. Jorge

Jorge New Member

Is there any fix yet?

5. drc85

drc85 Member

some ppl should start to get some knowledge of software before blaming udo LOL
    sounds like some ppl never was inside of the bios settings...

udo runs perfect with any OS!
    i have linux mint on my emmc and win10 on my m2 ssd!
    when starting the UDOO a GRUB loader is coming up,
    i can select linux or windows or other linux kernels to start up from there...
    when doing nothing inside of this menu, linux will auto start after 5seconds...

i tried it with a usb 3 stick and with m2 ssd and emmc , with and without uefi!
    uefi and the m2ssd is the fastest by far!
    it is also recomended to install both os in the same version...
    in my case i used uefi because it is faster and looks more modern..

make sure to install the ubuntu live system with a tool wich makes a uefi bootdevice!
    also make sure u enter the bios settings (escape button at startup) to select the boot device!

im not 100% sure about a SD card because i didnt tried because they very slow compared to the emmc or ssd..
    but im almost sure if the live system is created porberply it should work!

6. Jorge

Jorge New Member

The problem is that the board doesn't boot from SD. It's not a problem with BIOS configuration but an issue in firmware.
    Obviously my Udoo board doesn't have eMMC, it has only SD.

7. Jorge

Jorge New Member

Any news? It's very frustating this situation

8. drc85

drc85 Member

im getting confused... my udo has 32gb intern memory wich is emmc... but shown as SD (emmc) in linux i also have a m2 ssd ... both work for booting... i didnt tried boot from the SD input slot but i cant imagine it shouldnt work....

9. Jorge

Jorge New Member

I've just updated BIOS version from 1.03 to 1.04 and the bug is still here... I can't believe it!!!!

10. Laura

Laura UDOOer

This bug with a legacy boot affects Intel Braswell and is a known issue, unfortunately, is not one we can solve using firmware.

The issue is not present when booting in UEFI mode. Install/Boot a UEFI enabled operating system from the SD card.

Jorge likes this.
  11. Jorge

Jorge New Member

Thank you very much, you're right. I've installed Ubuntu Server 18.04 from USB on SD card and it boots perfectly from SD.

Laura and waltervl like this.
  12. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe New Member

Yes, I was hitting this, too.

Just to clarify, the problem only happens when you are booting from SD card in "Legacy" mode, right?

If you boot via USB (i.e., put the SD card in a USB reader and boot that) or if you boot it in EFI mode (BTW, how, exactly, do you make that happen?), then the problem won't happen, right?

Also, it doesn't happen if you are booting from the built-in eMMC.

13. Jorge

Jorge New Member

Yes, you're right. I have an Udoo X86 Advanced (without EMMC) so I need it to boot from SD. I disabled Legacy mode and Fast Boot OS in BIOS. Then I booted with an USB with Ubuntu Server 18.04 image and I installed it on SD with default options. The EFI partition is created by installation process itself where you chose "Use entire disk" option.
    After that when the installation is finish it boots perfectly from SD card ;-)

Laura likes this.
  14. Shyam Govardhan

Shyam Govardhan New Member

Hi there,
    I'm facing the same issue with Udoo X86 Ultra... Upgraded to firmware version 1.04.
    Installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and 18.04 LTS on 16GB microSD cards in Dual Boot and Legacy Boot modes.
    Thanks.
    - Shyam

15. brentm

brentm New Member

Solved (sort of)

For the Linux OS to boot up automatically on the UDOO, it must be installed as an EFI enabled OS.
    I installed Debian 8 from USB stick onto a microSD (Debian 8 doesn't recognize the eMMC).
    I initially tried to install and got the problem reported here. After reading some of these responses
    (thank you Jura) and doing some more research, I realized that grub was not installing in EFI mode.
    To make it work on the UDOO, I performed the following:
    1) power on UDOO, and press ESC until the BIOS screen is entered;
    2) enter the SCU sub-menu;
    3) select the Boot tab;
    4) make sure "Boot Type" is set to either "Dual Boot Type" or "UEFI Boot Type";
    5) select the "Exit" tab and "Exit Saving Changes";
    6) press ESC during the reboot to re-enter the BIOS screen;
    7) select the "Boot Manager" sub-menu;
    8) under EFI boot devices, select "EFI USB Device ..."
    NOTE: if Dual Boot Type was selected, the USB device will also show up as a legacy device,
    DO NOT select the legacy USB device as the boot option. If the legacy device is selected,
    then the Debian (et. al.) installer will not install grub in EFI mode.
    9) Boot up into the installer, and when configuring the target drive, select the option to force grub to
    install in UEFI mode.
    10) Continue with the OS installation as usual and the board should auto-boot into your new Linux image.

No matter what options I tried when installing as a Legacy device, I would get the "No Bootable Device" message,
    and the OS would not start unless Ctrl-Alt-Del was pressed.

ccs_hello and waltervl like this.
  16. nikodll

nikodll New Member

Installed Ubuntu on microsd, booting in "legacy" mode. I only able to boot the board from microsd when a keyboard is attached. I mean, I don't have to press anything, it's just as long as it detects a keyboard, it boots. I detach it, and it doesn't see the partitions on microsd. I even have grub installed on mmcblk0 (eMMC), but because the partitions are absent it's not enough, I really have to move my boot partition to eMMC, have a boot loader on mmcblk0, and only then it can boot without a keyboard attached. It's really very annoying. I tend to think the keyboard dependency is really a firmware bug that should be fixed by the Udoo team.