HDMI issues [Official discussion]

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by andcmp, Oct 31, 2013.

1. dnetman99

dnetman99 New Member

Thanks for that, does anyone know if the fix is the same for the Android operating system? Both are doing the same thing for me at this point.

2. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Unfortunately no. But we'll release the next version of the Android image (1.2) with the patch already on it.

3. casperleenheer

casperleenheer New Member

So I connected my laptop to my tv to retrieve the edid file. I placed it in /etc/edid.txt. I ran the commands in Uboot foloowing the guide, but still nothing. Is there a way to see that the /etc/edid.txt file is picked up? I used the format as in the example or does it need something else? I tried it with the Ubuntu 1.3 image.

4. dnetman99

dnetman99 New Member

I to am having no success, I have done all the steps described in the fix for my dell st2210b monitor that has HDMI, screen still remains black. This same monitor works with my raspberry pi, so I know HDMI works as well as DVI using HDMI to DVI cable but neither work with the udoo so far. Any other ideas? Anyone know where to find any other valid EDID values for this monitor to try in the edid.txt file?

Any help would be great so that I can use my udoo.

5. casperleenheer

I used a windows laptop with hdmi capabiities and download monInfo. This program retrieved the edid. Also I have no luck with my UDOO....

6. dnetman99

dnetman99 New Member

So it appears that I have found an edid for my monitor, I loaded it into /etc/edid.txt as a new file since it was not there already. however when I run the i2cdump command in the instructions it still gives an error like it is not reading the new edid.txt file. Is there a command that I am missing to make it pull that in? I run the setenv commands and then printenv to confirm they are there before boot. Any ideas?

7. shivaraj

shivaraj New Member

EDID Timing is the widely preferred timing standard but it needs a fix in UDOO.

In the meanwhile you could use Coordinated Video Timings (CVT) to fix the problems with DVI and few HDMI monitors.

To get a better understanding about CVT try reading the following document, https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/fb/modedb.txt

also this post about passing u-boot commands, http://www.udoo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=193&start=30#p3089

You may try passing any one of these commands that suits your monitor in u-boot prompt: (Also change the resolution & refresh rate accordingly)

To force enable the display:

Code:
    setenv setvideomode 'setenv videomode video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080M@60e,bpp=32'
    To force enable the display and use digital output:

Code:
    setenv setvideomode 'setenv videomode video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080M@60D,bpp=32'
    with "Reduced Blanking" CVT-RB (reduced horizontal and vertical blanking periods and allows a lower pixel clock rate and higher frame rates)

Code:
    setenv setvideomode 'setenv videomode video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080MR@60e,bpp=32'
    Code:
    setenv setvideomode 'setenv videomode video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080MR@60D,bpp=32'
    save the settings using
    Code:
    saveenv
    Here,
    'R' = 'reduced blanking' calculation for digital displays.
    'e' = Force the display to be enabled, i.e. it will override the detection if a display is connected.
    'D' = Force the display to be enabled and use digital output. This is useful for outputs that have both analog and digital
    signals (e.g. HDMI and DVI-I).

I don't either have a DVI or a HDMI monitor to test this, but you could give this a try.
    I too get "Failed to get size of gamma" error when using xrandr, which is related to problem with reading EDID of the monitor.
    But everything works just fine after setting the videomode.

8. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Thanks Shivaraj

That's a very nice and concise post indeed. Very helpful! :)

9. casperleenheer

Thanks Shivara this is a step in thee good direction. I have VGA display now. It's better then nothing, but I don't seem to get 1920x1080@60 whatever I try. I'm using a Panasonic ST50 Plasma. Anyone ideas? Thanks.

10. shivaraj

shivaraj New Member

11. dnetman99

dnetman99 New Member

So is anyone having luck with any type of HDMI? I am still trying with all the recommendations, I know my dell monitor is 1920x1080 and 60hz, but some of the latest recommendations get something on the screen, but its still green and fuzzy, so I will try my ASUS monitors this weekend at home, but if anyone else has this working on HDMI monitors or TV's let me know.

Thanks

12. dnetman99

dnetman99 New Member

Just wondering if there is any update as to when permanent fixes may be coming out or new images for the HDMI issue. Have yet to get either OS working on 2 different HDMI monitors even with all the suggestions on this thread. I finally get a picture by forcing the enable screen, but still unusable as its green and fuzzy on both. Thanks any update would be great as I would love to start using my udoo soon.

Thanks

13. andrewhennessy

andrewhennessy New Member

I have a UDOO quad that whose display works flawlessly with an HDMI to VGA adaptor to a medium sized HDMI monitor. However when I use my Sharp TV's both android and ubuntu. The GUI is too large and whenever I move the mouse the top quarter of the screen hangs and flashes. What could I do to fix this issue? Thanks.

14. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Have you looked at the following two items?
    1. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=193&p=3273&hilit=setenv#p3363
    2. http://www.udoo.org/faq-items/how-can-i ... mi-issues/

15. dnetman99

dnetman99 New Member

I have seen those and done all the suggested fixes in the threads and nothing gives me a straight HDMI screen, the closest I got was forcing enable and got a green fuzzy screen.

Doing the /etc/edid.txt fix it appeared that it never would pick it up even with the force commands in setenv, so not sure how to fix that or if its as expected.

Thanks

16. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

My post was in reply to andrewhennessy.

As to your own problems, have you interrupted the uboot process and manually set the resolution and refresh to match the published specs of your display device?

17. dnetman99

dnetman99 New Member

Yes, I have done everything in the threads here and the supposed fix for the problems. I have now tried it on 2 monitors both with specs of 1920x1080@60 and neither give me anything unless I use the e after the 60 then its just green and fuzzy.

Not sure what to try next, it is the same result on the ubuntu and android image. Only think I have not tried is my 61" Samsung TV.

Thanks

18. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Have you looked through https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/fb/modedb.txt around the flags in use in <xres>x<yres>[M][R][-<bpp>][@<refresh>][m][eDd] ?

19. dnetman99

dnetman99 New Member

This is the setting that got finally got my screen to show something, it was just green and fuzzy, everything else either gives me the same or nothing. I will see what else I can change.
    Code:
    setenv setvideomode 'setenv videomode video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080M@60e,bpp=32'
    I also tried it without the M as well, no difference.

20. shivaraj

shivaraj New Member

Before trying the videomode fix I tried the following and had the same problem,

1. I tried adding the output of CVT as ModeLine in the Section "Monitor" in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
    2. I also added Depth and Mode in Section "Screen" under SubSection "Display"
    3. Upon restart whenever i set some miss matching data in options depth and mode, i got the same green and fuzzy screen.

This exactly the reason why I insist on not adding or editing the default settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf .

You could try verifying that you are retaining the default settings in xorg.conf file and we could ignore this possibility too.

To read/edit the file you could SSH into udoo and use vim text editor.

Code:
    sudo vim /etc/X11/xorg.conf