Android HDMI blinks, browser quits every 15 seconds

Discussion in 'Android' started by davidbates, Nov 18, 2013.

1. davidbates

davidbates New Member

Android HDMI blinks, browser quits every 15 seconds, sluggish response times, bluetooth won't turn on.

I know this is going to be a work in progress for awhile so I am just listing what problems I am having in the hopes that they are either already resolved or just common known glitches and will be resolved soon.

2. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

I know you're interested in Android, but try booting to Linaro Ubuntu 11.10 v1.3 (IE the latest from this sites downloads) and just ensure all your hardware is working fine with that OS.

3. davidbates

davidbates New Member

I tried linaro first (about a week ago) and could not get it to boot. I would get a flicker on-screen every 10-15 seconds from no signal to blank. I tried to hook up the debugging port but nothing ever showed up for usb on my mac when plugging it into the otg port.

Is there a hardware issue? Are there any diagnostics I can run?
    I contacted support about the linaro distro but since I could get android booted I didn't keep it up. I'll also respond there to see if I get a response.

4. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

So, let's rewind.

Have you actually managed to boot to Android all the way successfully? You say the 'browser' quits every 15 seconds. Do you mean your monitor instead?

Reading between the lines it sounds like you haven't managed to boot into anything at all.

Do you have a solid green light on the Board from a 12V 2A supply?

5. davidbates

davidbates New Member

Yes solid green light, and when I say browser I mean the browser within android. Android run continuously (Does not reboot) but the applications quit every 10 seconds. I also get an intermittent signal lost on the screen. So two separate issues. Just to be sure I explain clearly let me do this:

• Android Boots fully and stays up
    • Browser app within android quits about every 10-15 seconds
    • Intermittently with android still running the screen will go blank and show no signal.
    • Bluetooth will not turn on.
    • Keyboard (OnScreen) will stick on a key about every 10-15 seconds and then exit.
    • Linaro will not boot (At least to anything I can see)
    • With Linaro I get a black screen then a blank screen (No Signal) then back to a black screen
    • I am using a 12V 2Amp PS and have tried with a 12V 1Amp to rule that out. I have also tested both with digital multimeter for over a minute and no noticeable changes in voltage.

6. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Well, first impressions suggest the hardware is fine.

Linaro wise, sounds like a bad SD Card image (happens quite often). Try zapping an SD, burn the latest from this site (and ensure you check the SHA-1) and give that a go.

If that is fine, try doing a clean burn of the latest Android from this site, same comment about SHA-1 applies of course.

7. davidbates

davidbates New Member

I am typing this from the linaro. Thanks.

8. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

That's great to hear.

Can you post exactly what you resolution was (for confirmation) please.

9. davidbates

davidbates New Member

I still think my issues with android remain but linaro booted just fine. I didn't wait long enough on the black screen... (There should be some bootloader image) Linaro has proven stable with no blinks or unexpected shutdowns. I have even compiled several arduino packages and deployed them successfully. However, reinstalling android proved that the issues were software related. (I also checked the SHA-1)

10. jdonavan

jdonavan New Member

I've had the same HDMI blink issue with the XBMC image from Stephan Rafin. I'm starting to work with him to figure out what's causing it. If I get to the bottom of it I'll post back here.