UDOO Car Stereo

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Need4Camaro, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Need4Camaro

Need4Camaro New Member

Hi. I am new here. I have been using the Android Headunit's for awhile and basically, their quality just isn't up to par, they keep failing in short.

I want to make an Intel Android Car Stereo UDOO Double Din 7" Screen Unit running atleast Android 6 but I need to know if it will be possible and what I'll need to do it.

• First question is which UDOO Unit can I use to accomplish this? I saw Udoo X86 and was thinking of using the Advance Plus version with 4GB RAM. Will it take Android 6?
    • What can I use for a power supply to take in 12 Volts?
    • Will I need a heatsink and fan? If so what kind would you recommend?
    • What kind of 7" Touchscreen Display can I use? Will any work or are there only certain ones?
    • Will it fit inside of a double din case?
    • What can I use for the sound to my vehicle?
    • What about handsfree calling to my phone?
    • Will a USB GPS receiver work?
    Any advice appreciated.

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

If using the Udoo X86 you first have to investigate if the Android port to a X86 device (Android X86) will fulfill your software/apps needs. Go to the documentation for more info https://www.udoo.org/docs-x86/Software_&_OS_Distro/Android.html

Also read the separate pdf user manual were all connectors are explained. You can download it from here: https://www.udoo.org/docs-x86/Hardware_Reference/Resources.html

A touch display for Udoo X86 can be bought from the shop, no idea if it will fit 2 din but that should be easy to find out when checking both dimensions.

3. x1800MODMY360x

x1800MODMY360x Member

The x86 have a heatsink included and if using in a car do get the fan and run it 100% fan speed.

4. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

UDOO x86 expects stable 12V DC power supply. Spec stated 12V +-5%.
    Experienced automotive-PC builders should know that Car's 12V out can dip (as low as 9V during engine stating) and high as 16V for charging. Even when engine is off, LeadAcid battery can go as high as 14.4V and low as 11.8V. Also, there is specialty circuit to cover blocking excessive battery drain, delay power up (until engine is started), and always regulated to a stabilized/fixed 12V power.

5. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

6. Need4Camaro

Need4Camaro New Member

Hi, thanks for the information. The advertised UDOO X86 7" display: https://shop.udoo.org/usa/7inch-hdmi-usb-display-touch.html is slightly too large. Will this work instead?
    https://shop.udoo.org/usa/video-kit-7-touch-for-quaddual.html
    what about this?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FF8PZA6/ref=dp_sp_detail?psc=1

7. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

The Udoo dual/quad display will definitely not work on the X86.

Almost every display will work as long as it has hdmi. Touch will be the difficult part. The touch device has to be supported by Android or you have to add it yourself which needs building Android X86 yourself (not easy)

8. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

9. Mathew Hoets

Mathew Hoets UDOOer

So I am currently undertaking the same thing. I decided on Windows 10 due to Android being finicky with drivers and all. Also, having to mess with the audio profiles to achieve 5ch audio wasn't worth it for me as I don't really know my way around customising Android.

I got my 7" Cap touch screen from little bird Electronics in Aus, good screen and really easy to use in Win 10 with HDMI and USB touch control.

I can send you more deets on it if you are keen

10. dominique

dominique Member

The unavoidable problem with Android or Windows car stereo is loading times. I have a dinosaur 4.4 android car stereo and it literallytakes almost a minute for me to be able to use it.

I too wanted to put Udoo in my vehicle but found far better projects I wanted to commit it to.

11. Trace Huber

Trace Huber New Member

Here to revive a dead post. I'm interested in the same thing as the OP. I have done quite a bit of web searching on the topic and the biggest problem i am facing is the X86's picky power supply. Has anyone come up with a viable solution to maintaining a good voltage? One that doesn't require an electrical engineering degree or break the bank. I could easily go with a lower board but the x86 specs make it the most appealing for Android OS.

12. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

13. Trace Huber

Trace Huber New Member

Well I'll be damned.... I'm not a huge ebay person so never really looked on there. Have you used this device before?

14. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Yep.
    You have to adapt this unit to fit XDOO x86 DC power in.
    If you don't like that price/that place, buy it the regular way, M2-ATX-HV's MSRP is around $75!

15. Trace Huber

Trace Huber New Member

Im totally fine with that price and from ebay, just not one of my usual shopping places. Were you able to adapt it to manage the shut down of the udoo board "gracefully" as it puts it in the manual? Or is the only way to do a hard shutdown?

16. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Read the fine manual. J8 is used for the PC on/off power control.
    Of course you have to configure the PC side to be soft/gracefully shutdown.
    It recommend set the DIP switch to P1 mode.

17. Trace Huber

Trace Huber New Member

Ahh I see. I will be honest I'm pretty much an amateur when it comes down to computer circuitry and programming. I want to try and figure out how to do this on my own as much as possible as thats the best way I learn. But I will definitely appreciate help and feed back since you have done this before. Thanks ccs_hello, for helping me get this project back on track!

18. heriify

heriify New Member

Seem to need something like a din rail smps picky power supply