Problems installing Windows 10 on UDOO X86

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by FrankSW9, Feb 28, 2018.

1. FrankSW9

FrankSW9 New Member

Hi everyone,
    New here, so do forgive me if I missing something very basic.
    Recently purchased a UDOO X86 Advanced plus and prepared it with a M.2 SSD and Wi-Fi kit. So far so good. The problem started when I tried to prepare a USB with the Windows 10 (X64) ISO from a Macbook running MacOS Sierra (10.12.6).
    I followed the UDOO instructions with no luck as the version of Boot Camp Assistant included in Sierra does not let me choose the USB as a destination disk to burn the image... just the main HDD:(

I have also tried using the terminal (like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhgjqbq_zYA) and other programmes like Etcher (https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-macos#5) to produce a bootable USB with no luck whatsoever... UDOO board keeps saying "No bootable device --insert boot disk and pres any key":confused::confused::confused::confused:

Has someone else encountered this problem? Any help would be truly appreciated!!!

2. Trace Huber

Trace Huber New Member

I have Windows 10 Pro 1709 build on my X86. I had no problem installing the OS. Im guessing you already have the W10 ISO file? I used the Windows DVD/USB tool to create a bootable USB.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool
    However, the website doesn't say it works on MacOS.
    Are you pressing ESC to get to the BIOS interface? From there you can select a boot device from the boot manager.

FrankSW9 likes this.
  3. FrankSW9

FrankSW9 New Member

Thanks for your reply @Trace Huber. Yes, BIOS and UDOO components seem to be fine. I think the problem is that the installation manual at UDOO's website has not being updated for Sierra or High Sierra or just shows the Windows installation process from Mac as far more simple than it actually is...
    I have recently done the same with several Raspberry Pi (different system altogether, I know) without much problem

4. Trace Huber

Trace Huber New Member

Yeah I also think that the install instructions on here are not quite up to date, and not just for Windows. Seems like most of the instructions are out dated or just plain incomplete. I also installed Android OS and it took me 2 days of shifting through posts and pages to finally figure it out. Only to find that half of the things I was hoping would work... Didn't.

So that install USB you have for windows, are you saying you have used it to install on Pi?

5. FrankSW9

FrankSW9 New Member

No, no, Pi runs on Debian. I was just mentioning Pi as an example and comparing the tutorials from both companies. Tbh UDOO's tutorials seem extremely lacking (or out dated), specially when compared to the Pi ones. Sorry if someone gets offended, but as a "customer" dunnot really want to pay £££ and spend 2 days trawling the internet for a solution o_O Maybe a moderator can throw some light into the issue ;) @Laura

6. Trace Huber

Trace Huber New Member

Ok, yeah I didn't think Windows was on Pi but I haven't done anything with Pi so I wasn't sure.

I would guess that their way of creating a W10 boot USB on Mac is probably out dated or no longer works... And I question how well it worked in the first place. If you can't find a more recent solution on your own online, I suggest seeing if you have a friend or family member that has a Windows PC and asking if you can use it to create a USB using the program Microsoft put out. Obviously it's a hassle and SHOULD be unnecessary... But it is what it is, and you gotta do what you gotta do to get the job done.

7. FrankSW9

FrankSW9 New Member

I thought someone here could help, let's wait a bit and see ;) @Trace Huber

8. FrankSW9

FrankSW9 New Member

Hi! Quick update:
    -Finally decided to give up and create the bootable Win 10 USB from a Windows machine
    -Good news is USB seems to work
    -Bad news, currently stuck trying to install Windows on the Transcend 128GB M2 SSD with no luck. As suggested in this thread (https://www.udoo.org/forum/threads/cant-install-windows-10-on-m2-ssd.8081/#post-34952) tried both deleting and formatting the existing partitions but no results...
    Any tips will be much appreciated!

9. FrankSW9

FrankSW9 New Member

@Trace Huber were you using the Trascend M2 SSD? did you encounter a similar problem?

10. FrankSW9

FrankSW9 New Member

now solved, inserted microSD and that magically allowed formatting the M2 SSD partitionso_Oo_Oo_O
    FWIW I still think manuals need updating...