Quad isn't exactly speedy, hangs for short periods

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by dansinker, Nov 25, 2013.

1. dansinker

dansinker New Member

I've gotten my Quad up and running in the last 24 hours or so. Yesterday, on 1.2 and today on 1.3. Both times, I've been surprised at 30 second to 1 minute hangs of the system every few minutes. This seems to be especially true when opening a window or an application, but also on web browsing (a few pages (ironically including the Udoo page itself) lock the system to the point where I think it's completely dead, but then comes back). This feels like a memory issue to me, but it's telling me I've got the full ~800M available (after the 1.3 upgrade, before that was seeing the same ~600 issue others had).

2. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

UDOO shouldn't be so slow. What class of microSD are you using? A class 10 with ubunbu is much faster than a class 4 even if it should be fast as well.

3. dansinker

dansinker New Member

How do I find out my microSD class?

4. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

It's printed on the SD card.

5. dansinker

dansinker New Member

Appears to be a class 4.

6. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Yeah, not brilliant to be honest.

Give the following command a try 'dd count=1k bs=1M if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/asd' (it will take 3-5 mins to run so be patient). As an example my Class 10 gives 8MB/s (if I recall correctly). Read speeds are about 18MB/s.

Whether this is the root of your problems I don't know, but given the cost of Class 10's (get a UHS-I rated for 30MB/s) is less than $7.50/€5/£4.50 for an 8GB including delivery it is certainly something to try.

7. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

using a class 10 SD card is really a minimum when talking about performance
    there are higher classes UHS or something i think, some with up to 30 or 60 Mb/s (not that you would see that irl)

the class 4 SD is probably one of your issues, but as Jim noted maybe not the only one.

8. dansinker

dansinker New Member

Haven't done the test Jim outlines yet, but here's another speed-related post from me, over in the Arduino section:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=419

Literally takes ten minutes to verify a sketch.

9. dansinker

dansinker New Member

Yeah, so I ran the check. I'm pulling 2.1 MB/s

10. dansinker

dansinker New Member

I've ordered a class 10 micro SD just to rule that out as the issue.

It's worth noting that the 'getting started' guide should be updated to include a note about SD card class and performance. Right now, the only note about what type of SD to purchase is: "Please consider that the micro SD card size must be at least 8GB; higher capacity SD memory cards may be used but only 8GB will be available at the end of the procedure."

11. rocketeer

rocketeer New Member

I am wondering that have you tested which SD card is the fastest one for UDOO?

12. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

I agree with you, given the very small price differential between Class 4 & 10 cards, there ought to be a simple and clear message about using Class 10's.

However, a Class 4 may be sufficient for many users. Not all will be using Desktop Environments after all.

In your case I'm not sure the SD Card is the sole issue at play, but it ought to help in any case.

13. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

I don't understand.

Are you asking what is the single fastest card, IE a specific make and model?

I doubt there will be much more than +/- 10% between any "Class 10 UHS-I HC I" (what a mouthful) SC Card.

These will be labelled as 'rated for 30MB/s'. If you read the small print you will see that speed is for read speeds, and only when used in SDR50 mode/reader. When in a vanilla SD Card reader the rated read speed drops to 20MB/s. Write speeds are around 1/3 of this.

In benchmarks on Quad UDOO's, this class of card is giving 16-18MB/s Read & 6-8MB/s Write.

14. GregZ

GregZ New Member

I wouldn't expect 30 second 'hangs' even with a class 4 card. I ran with a class 4 when I first got it going and found a similar hanging thing. I noticed that the wifi was pretty erratic. I just switched to ethernet and it started working fine still with the 4 card. I was getting ~4MB with mine, though.

I switched to a SATA SSD and am pretty impressed with the speed. All hiccup are gone.

Just a data point.

15. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Thanks. I've heard someone else say something about the WiFi causing 'stuttering' too although I can't recall the details now.

For those who have performance issues, definitely something to try (turn off the WiFi and try a cable).

16. dansinker

dansinker New Member

So I've got the class 10 in now, and while I haven't run the machine through its paces completely, it's *much* faster and more responsive now. Still slightly pokier than I'd expect from a quad-core, but definitely within reasonable performance.

Arduino compliling is still slower than I'd expect, but down significantly as well (from about 10 minutes to verify to ~1-2.

Definitely think the class 10 thing was a big part of the issue. Better documentation would have meant a significantly better onboarding for me. I know my way around a fair amount of stuff, but knowing about Micro SD classes is not one of them.

Thanks everyone for the help.

17. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Dan... pleasure. Glad you're sorted.

I will time 'blink' on my Quad. It's isn't that fast. Perhaps 1-2 mins to compile, upload/flash and verify I'd say. I only tried it once and didn't really pay attention to the time/speed. So that's subjective.

I agree about the onboarding, user experience and setting expectations. Whoever thought the few cents/pence saved with a Class 4 was worth it needs to stand on the naughty step for a day. I am surprised it made that big a difference for you though.

18. maara

maara Member

when talking about the cards - are micro sd cards with UHS specifivation supported?