Ok, now that we have the board: Let's get serious

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blackcoder, Oct 25, 2013.

1. blackcoder

blackcoder New Member

Ok, got my board yesterday. My first impression is disappoitement :(

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Android system doesn't have google play ! so you wont be able to install any of the software in the android store ?

The second question is why Linaro 13.09 not supported yet? Isn't Linaro 11.10 really out of day ? and what does it take to install 13.09

The reason why I bought this board is to replace my current configuration of a RaspberryPi running ROS and and Arduino Mega. I really want to compile ROS to run on UDOO. It seems that it's going to be a hard task, anyone interesting in collaborating with this task ?

I first thing we need is an UDOO OS similar to debian wheezy on raspberry pi that contains a lot more packages than Linaro 11.10

2. mkopack

mkopack Member

Come into the IRC room and let's talk about it. There is already work going in for getting Debian running and I too plan to run ROS.

3. mkopack

mkopack Member

black: Check this thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=144

Explains how to get a Debian filesystem going. From that we should be able to get at least a partial ROS build going from source. I would HIGHLY recommend doing the build from a hard drive to speed things up as the SD is going to be utterly slow for this. Once I have my setup (this afternoon) and can get some free time (Sat evening) I plan to do the same thing.

4. blackcoder

blackcoder New Member

Excellent, we should really align our efforts to get ROS and Debian Wheezy up and running. I will be away for the next 10 hours or so, but it would be great if you can document the steps / progress you acheived so far and I will continue with what you've done instead of starting from scratch.

You have no idea how amazing it would be to have a ROS and debian working in the UDOO, plenty of robotic applications can emerge from that !

5. Rob Napier

Rob Napier New Member

I too am looking for people to partner with, though my interest currently is the lower level: hardware and system drivers. Any starters?

6. mkopack

mkopack Member

alas I haven't had a chance to really get started. I was hoping to find a small SSD and SATA data+power cable, and the right connector to power the drive off the Udoo, but no such luck. I might start giving things a try later this afternoon/evening using the other 8GB mSD card (I couldn't care less about android.)

7. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

I cant comment on the other topics, but i think you have some direction there already.
    On the Android topic vendors working with AOSP, which i assume is what we are using on UDOO, are not legally allowed to distribute the google applications with their Android image. You will find the same thing in the Android Handset mod community. For example if you are to download Cyanogenmod ROM/Image, one of the most popular custom Android ROMs, it does not include the Google apps.
    I think in the case of UDOO there is still some work to get the google app bundle ready to be downloaded.
    I haven't personally done any Android stuff on the UDOO (yet) so i cant say much more on that topic, just that for this part, it is not a failing of the UDOO team, its a legality when using AOSP

(AOSP = Android Open Source Project, the version of Android that is available for free to all)

8. andcmp

andcmp New Member

It's more a matter of being hardware certified by Google, this is the only way to have Google Play and more in general Google Apps on UDOO. Certification is something we are going through, but isn't that easy and it will take a while. Until then, no GApps on UDOO. In order to install apps on UDOO you need to push the apks through the ADB method. In the next Android release there will be a file explorer already installed so you'll be able to load and install apk from USB drive.

Also we are evaluating "non official stores" like Amazon App Store or SlideME as a temporary workaround.

9. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

thanks for the correction, i knew it was something like that.

10. blackcoder

blackcoder New Member

Ok guys, time for some update on the ROS front.
    I am very close to get a working ROS on UDOO
    Briefly the steps I followed so far:

- Install Ubuntu Core armhf version + install all the basic necassary packages to get a working linux copy
    - Install the binary ROS built for ARM from : http://wiki.ros.org/hydro/Installation/UbuntuARM
    - Few bugs and fixes on the way

I will release a complete tutorial, with a working image, once I have everything setup and running.

11. blackcoder

blackcoder New Member

Hi Guys,

Just finished setting up the first steps on how to install ROS hydro on UDOO ! I am very excited about this.

Follow the steps here : http://wiki.ros.org/hydro/Installation/UDOO and let me know if you have any questions. I will create a binary image that you can just install on a card as soon as I have time.

12. Xykon

Xykon Member

As for google play store, I had been testing a Kindle Fire HD earlier this year which doesn't provide the Google store by default either.

After rooting the tablet I was able to download and install the necessary software though, and subsequently was able to install apps from the Google store.

Another way of doing things might be to download the software on an official Google licensed device and then install the downloaded app on the udoo. For myself I don't have any other Android device so I can't test this.

13. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

i would suggest starting a new thread, im sure most people wont find it here

14. danielespitia

danielespitia New Member

Hi Blackcoder, nice work!
    I followed the steps, but I have a problem because I can't start the graphical interface. I used the startx command but I get: command not found.
    Can you help me?

15. jpatek

jpatek New Member

I made made a Clonezilla image of the Ubuntu 13.10 image I created with blackcoder's instructions (Thanks so much, blackcoder). Since it is a bit of a pain, I decided to offer it up to whomsoever would like it. You can download it from my FTP server at: ftp://www.hydrorobotics.com under the UDOO directory.
    Cheers

16. jpatek

jpatek New Member

OK, forgot to mention that the image is for the UDOO Dual (don't have a quad, yet)
    Cheers

17. miousername

miousername New Member

Great work!

I'll go to test your Image!
    Thank you very much!