UDOO Neo + Marshmellow + 3.7" TFT

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by Neeraj Aggarwal, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Neeraj Aggarwal

Neeraj Aggarwal New Member

Hi
    I am in the middle of a quick proof of concept project that involves running Android Marshmallow on a small SBC (Udoo Neo) with a 3.2" - 5" TFT Touchscreen, a camera and an NFC Reader.
    While the latter seem to be coming up easily, I am still at loss in terms of how to setup the touch screen. We dont need a 7" or 15" Touch Screen. Timelines are short, so a pointer would really really help

2. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

I don't think there are any easy options for screen or camera.

For 3.2"-5" TFT the options are:

1. Finding a LVDS screen and implementation a custom connector to wire it the LVDS connector.
    2. Using a rpi type screen which has an hdmi interface.
    3. A hdmi screen with usb touch screen support, this one is easier to interface .

For the touchscreen support on the above you will need to implement a kernel driver if the touch interface isn't already supported.

Regarding camera there is no support so you will need to build a custom kernel driver and plugin it into the android HAL layer.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  3. Neeraj Aggarwal

Neeraj Aggarwal New Member

Thank you for the pointer. So eventually, as I understand it, I could use a raspberry pi hdmi display with the udoo board and need to find one which gives an independent usb based touch-screen support. Thanks.
    Wrt Camera Support, could I not use the UDOO prescribed Analog Camera with Marshmallow. Never really used any (other than the RaspiCam) but I am assuming, that once setup, I should be able to use all the opencv libraries with the system.

Thanks for your response, and am really hoping for a Yes on the latter query.
    thanks
    n.

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

There is no prescribed analog camera for the Udoo Neo. You will have to switch to a Udoo dual/quad or Udoo X86 to use opencv in combination with a camera. The Neo has not enough video processing capacity.

5. icce

icce New Member

I have experience with HDMI output on Neo. I have a 7 inch with resolution 800x480 with HDMI. I know that this one is ok for Rpi. But Udoo Neo maybe not. I tried xrandr command to change the output to 800x480 but the screen always show no input. Then I tried that with normal monitor and the result is the same, no output.
    So my hypothesis is Neo HDMI do not support that resolution and will result no output.
    So if you want to use LCD, I suggest use some small 3.5 inch with some normal resolution than the abnormal 800x480.

BR

6. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

xrandr would never work you need need to alter the lcd hdmi settings in the dts file to change resolutions.

7. icce

icce New Member

So that means we cannot change the resolution of NEO output? I also tried with many other output than 720p (default) but no luck.
    Any workaround for lower resolution?

8. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

You can change the resolution however it's a bit more involved, if you search the posts there should be a an old thread discussing the issue.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018