My Quad struggles to boot

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by AdiN, Nov 21, 2013.

1. AdiN

AdiN New Member

Hi,

I have receive my Udoo board on 20.11.2013. Thank You for this!

But I have a problem with it.

Board I have received around 16:00 German time and now it is 01:36 ..21.11.2013. Since 16:00 I try to start this board but no luck.
    I have tried all the methods and nothing came up on my HDMI tv or terminal. Jumpers are in the correct positions.
    I have created and recreated two micro sd cards one has 16GB and the other one 8GB.

What can I do?
    Please help .

2. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Re: Any Udoo Quad Problems?

there are a few things.. if these dont work please look at starting a new thread
    1.) are you getting a solid green light?
    2.) are you using a 12v 2A power cord
    3.) are you getting anything from the serial terminal http://www.udoo.org/ProjectsAndTutorial ... ial-cable/
    4.) Since you said you created and re-created the SD card, i will assume you downloaded the most rececent v1.3 Linaro
    5.) Have you tried the android image to see if the results are any different.
    6.) Try this tutorial also "Why my UDOO wont boot" : http://www.udoo.org/faq-items/why-my-udoo-wont-boot/

If none of these resolve your issue please startup a new thread and we can help you work on the problems.
    Also please search the forums before doing so, there are numerous threads regarding booting problems and its very possible you will find a resolution and wont have to go through more posts and troubleshooting

3. AdiN

AdiN New Member

Re: Any Udoo Quad Problems?

@DracoLlasa

Thank you for your fast answer.

Please believe me that I have read a lot about it. Around 3:00 Am I was able to start UDOO.
    What I have done?

I put micro SD card in micro SD slot.
    Power up UDOO.
    I put the debug cable in micro USB slot.
    and I have pressed Power button....nothing happened.
    Then I have kept Power button pressed for arround 3min.-----some data from booting process came on putty.
    Came also some HDMI errors but I have fixed them.
    Them I have done sudo reboot.....and it shut it down ...and did not start anymore I have wait for it to boot 20 min.. (it was 3:30 ....I went to sleep :)).

Is this normal ?

How much time Udoo needs in order to start up and then to boot?

Best regards
    Adrian

4. AdiN

AdiN New Member

Please I need an answer ASAP !!!!!!

5. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

*first, please keep your problem contain in your thread unless its directly related to the topic of another thread*

Now, lets see if we can provide a bit more help here
    * everything off and unplugged
    * Now plug in the USB cable to CN6, and wait for your computer to recognize it
    * open putty and start a serial connection to that com port (on windows), press enter to ensure the connection is established, if it is you will just have a blank screen if its not you will get an error.
    * Plug in the power cord
    -- Please tell me the Volt and Amp rating of your power supply, what you are describing has been seen due to under rated power supplies, and in at least 2 known cases on the forums here, it was a properly rated power supply, but was bad. if you have the tools to properly test we can do that, otherwise i might suggest trying another power supply.
    * With the power cord in and the serial connection established you should see the u-boot start on the screen and the UDOO start to boot

It sounds like you got it to boot once but when you rebooted it didnt come back.. again sounds like power supply issues
    Please try booting both with the Linaro image and the Android image to see if the results are the same.

6. AdiN

AdiN New Member

Hi

I have tried everything . I think this board is defect.
    Power:
    in boot mode it takes around 5W
    during normal work mode it takes between 3W-5W. average around : 0.33A and 12.20V.....4W
    This board sometimes boots sometimes not.....I must wait around 20-30 min and then the board will boot again. And when it works , the cooler from Freescale i.MX 6 Quad it is becoming hot and the board is not responsive anymore.

Please send me instructions how to send this board back.Please send me one with no defects. I do not want to try other {tricks}.

Thank you!

Best Regards
    Adrian

7. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Please feel free to contact UDOO using this form: http://www.udoo.org/support/contact-us/
    Also note it may take them some time as they are dealing with a slot of email requests. they are in the process of switching over to a better ticketing system.

if you do not get a response soon, post back here in this thread and we will see if we can help more. Please give it at least a few days to a week. They are rather behind, but have been very good about resolving defective boards when they are found.

8. AdiN

AdiN New Member

Hi,

Thank you !!!

Regards
    Adrian

9. AdiN

AdiN New Member

Hi DracoLlasa,

It passed one week and i received only one e-mail two days ago and then nothing. E-mail was from Andrea Camposarcone - Interaction Designer.
    My question is : It is normal with this slow process by Udoo team .... or it is something else?
    Probably you have realized that I do not have enough patience....but this is because I cannot start my project and with this delay's and slow process, I'm wondering myself if I have done right, ordering a Udoo board.

Best regards
    Adrian

10. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

The UDOO team is behind with a lot of things so to answer your question... yes, unfortunately it is normal that things are being slow to process. You got a confirmation email from them, which means they have it in their queue to deal with. Andrea C is the right person, if it has his attention it should be getting handled. I'm sorry but i dont think there is anything else i can do the speed up the processes

11. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Adrian,

we're about to open our ticketing/RMA system. Sorry if you had to wait this long, i'll send you the direct url once we're ready.

12. delba

Adin, as promised here's the new ticketing system: http://www.udoo.org/customer-care/. Here for the full post: http://www.udoo.org/udoo-support-ticket-system/. Open a new ticket and we'll take good care of your problem. Cheers

13. AdiN

AdiN New Member

Hi,

I'm really disappointed about your system.
    I want only to replace that faulty UDOO board that came to me....and it passed almost one month in total and I do not have a simple address.
    How hard it can be?

14. delba

AdiN, we took care of your issue. You should receive a response any minute now!

15. AdiN

AdiN New Member

Thank you Delba,

I have replied to your answer.

16. EBrown

EBrown New Member

I seem to be having a similar issue as well. Any attempt to get my Quad to boot simply does not work.

Is there some specific setup the jumpers have to be in? (I can't find any documentation, so I assume they were set how they should be.)

I have connected via Serial (at least I think, it acts like it's connected) and I get no output whatsoever. I'm assuming the i.MX6 in this board is junk?

Thanks,
    EBrown

17. delba

18. EBrown

EBrown New Member

I have, and my computer doesn't even recognize it when I plug the serial cable in anymore. I'm assuming the voltage regulator on the boar itself failed at some point, and it fried the chips. (The SAM3X even appears to have a slight imperfection in the middle of it, the text is clearly faded in the middle, most likely due to overheating from over-voltage.)

I plugged it in once again (did I mention that I am using the power supply that was sent with my preorder?) and have left it there for a while (long enough to submit a couple job applications), and things just seem to be progressing downhill. There is not yet ANY HDMI output, and it's been probably a half hour.

I would attach images of it, but they are too large and all they would show you is that the Atmel chip is now extremely discolored in the middle.

I'm guessing that this is NOT a problem with the power supply, as I tested it with two voltmeters, and it was putting out 12.45VDC (which is acceptable, any low level voltage regulator can handle the extra .45VDC). I think this is a problem with the voltage regulator or something on the board itself.

Thanks,
    EBrown

19. AdiN

AdiN New Member

Thank you Delba,
    Thank you UDOO

Thank you very much for the fast shipping
    On 12.12.2013 around 20:00 my new UDOO arrived.
    This one I have tested only the Quad part....Arduino not yet.
    I have also made the micro SD card with 12.04 and it is working without problems.
    No if I have to compare the two products the last one is by far the best one.
    The first one I was not able to boot it anymore. Probably because the Arduino chip becomes very hot.

1.Audio via HDMI works.
    2.Audio via headphones works.
    3.There is a small problem with resolution (to big)....but I'm waiting for the workaround.
    4.I have observed after a while the heat radiator becomes a little warm and the UDOO performance decrees a little bit (does not respond to commands fast ).... But for the moment I can ignore that.
    5.I was not able to see some youtube clips .
    For 4 and 5 ....maybe this is because I have a micro sd class 4 ?

20. delba

EBrown,

probably it's an hardware problem (as you already said). Please open a ticket in our customer care section: http://www.udoo.org/customer-care/ (help topic RMA) specifying that you've already done the troubleshooting. You'll receive a reply with further informations. Thanks