Redundant power supply inc LiPo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by henrq, Nov 28, 2013.

1. henrq

henrq New Member

i have some questions
    i wanna do an circuit with redundancy
    if the circuit detect the AC input it starts charging the lipo battery and of course feed the whole system
    if the circuit dont detect the AC input it starts using the lipo battery.
    like ours notebooks,smartphones do ,
    i am going to use an lipo 3s(11,1v) battery with 5Ah
    i need to feed with this battery 3 things
    1-udoo
    2-lynxmotion servo controller board
    3-ubec that will feed 20 servos
    [​IMG]
    the 10 resistors represents the 20 SERVOS i will use
    the transformer represents the UBEC(THE UBEC will convert 12v in 5v 8A)
    the u1 and u2 represents the boards lynxmotion and udoo respectively
    as you can see the UBEC converts 11,1v in 5v or 6v at 8A of current

questions:
    what type of cable i must use in order to achieve my goal?
    i mean do the conection in parallel and conect udoo,servo board and the ubec with the lipo battery ?
    can i make a circuit like that with redundancy as i explained before?
    my fear is if the lipo explode and take fire.
    i dont know if i can charge an lipo while i am using it(charging and discharging at the same time like in noteboks and smartphones)
    at last but not least
    how can i make the connection between udoo and the lipo cable,as far as i know i think i have to solder the cable direct in the board(but where?) or use a convertor ac/dc and plug in the power connector,but in this case i will lose energy in form of heat,more consumption etc..

can anyone help me?

2. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

I've split out your post due to the depth and breadth of your questions, and renamed it.

3. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Clearly the key piece of equipment in question is a multi-input/multi-output power supply that incorporates a battery charger that can handle LiPo's (that are extremely dangerous if not done correctly).

By far the best thing is to solve that with something off the shelf... an Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS).

I'm sure many exist, but this is the first I found from a Google search that met the criteria. Quite nice really, might get one myself next year. It's called 'OpenUPS' (with the catchy tagline of 'an any input, any output, any battery'. This is rated for continuous output of 6A (with 10A peak upto 30 seconds).

Let's assume we choose a 9V output from this, imagine it's putting it out onto a 9v DC 'rail'. Off this rail we have:
    1. The UDOO takes 6-15V DC. UDOO takes (usually) a max of 5W. At 9V that is about 0.6A.
    2. I'll assume your Lynxmotion is actually a SSC-32 - this takes a max of 9V DC, it's derated to 0.250A (max)
    3. DC/DC step-down (see below)
    So lets say that is 1A (max) consumed by the UDOO & SSC-32. That leaves you 5A @ 9V continuous to play with.

DC/DC step down
    Now, you just need a 9V -> 5V DC/DC step down.

These are commonly available (UBEC's are a variation of these I guess). You should be able to find one that can handle 3-4.5A easily enough.

So, it would look like
    AC in -> OpenUPS -> 9V Rail (UDOO + SSC-32 + DC/DC step-down coming off that 'rail')

Assuming the 20 servo's you have in mind can live within that power budget it seems straight forward.

Now if these are small servo's that is no problem. If you have large high current servo's and you want all 20 in motion at the same time you have to completely rethink this and step up to a whole new price level.

4. henrq

henrq New Member

100 dollars!,i think it is too expensive!
    i bought these 2 itens
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ouse_.html
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... uine_.html
    and surfing in the web i found this:
    http://www.linear.com/product/LTC4412
    i found one equipment but is for raspberry pi
    https://www.modmypi.com/pi-modules-upis-advanced
    i cant reuse it on udoo because it only have 5v of output!

i am thinking making things this way:
    connect the imax b6 in AC 110v(electrical network),and connect imax b6 with lipo(easy i dont need instructions)
    somehow(i dont know how)connect the lipo with the 3 components i mentioned before(ubec/udoo/ssc32)
    the point is that i must connect the imax and these 3 things with the lipo.
    i was wondering about paralel cables but i am not sure if my guess is correct.
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _1pc_.html
    at the same time the battery charges and discharges.
    the lipo battery will be the central point
    off course it would be better if i could use the circuit without the battery...(plug in the wall) but how connect a font on it?(transform the connectors in on single plug and connect in these normal fonts)
    my circuit will consume 10A of current.
    other thing
    how can i connect udoo with the lipo?(by the normal AC hole plug[i think it only works with AC input and i am using a lipo] or via arduino pins?)
    thanks!