Migrating applications to sata drive

Discussion in 'Linux Ubuntu' started by celtic762, Nov 29, 2013.

1. celtic762

celtic762 New Member

Hello fellow udooers,
    I've set my udoo with a 2.5" WD5000LPVX 500 gig drive. It is formatted three partitions: a swapfile partition of the appropriate size that is being used, the drive also has a ext4 24 gig partition that I hope to make bootable at some point, and finally the third partition is also ext4 and accounts for the rest of the drive capacity. The partitions all auto mount and I used isolated pin 11 on the sata power connection to power an LED to indicate disk activity. :p In the mean time, is there a way to move my applications off the SD card and on to either of the ext4 partitions? The SD card is filling up quite quickly :? :cry:

2. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

I'm not sure what the issue is. If both the SD card & SATA HDD are mounted then just cp or mv whatever files you want.

3. celtic762

celtic762 New Member

Too simple! I want something complicated and unreproducable and involves sudo -i -ing every thing on the desktop . This is Linux after all! ;) Actually I had thought of that but what about dependencies etc?

4. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Well, I suggest you post back after you run into problems as you may not have any.

5. celtic762

celtic762 New Member

I more or less used the procedure found at http://www.maketecheasier.com/move-home-folder-ubuntu without incident. The instructions used the nano text editor whereas I used the gedit supplied with our distro. In combination with the swap partition applications load musch faster and are more stable. All in all win win win :D