Booting UDOO X86 without HDMI attached.

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Garret Bamsch, May 28, 2018.

1. Garret Bamsch

Garret Bamsch New Member

I am using the latest 104 BIOS and previously I was able to boot up the UDOO X86 into Windows 10 without a HDMI monitor attached and the access it though the Windows Remote Desktop Connection. For some reason this has stopped working and I must have a HDMI monitor attached to be able to boot. Otherwise it just sits there with the CPU fan on high setting, never booting to any system. Is there a setting in BIOS that tells the system to boot even if there is no HDMI monitor connected?

2. Starling

Starling New Member

Same issue here.
    Rebooting my ultra without a monitor attached (or when the monitor is powered off) it will sit, fan on high and not proceed to boot the OS. When the monitor is powered on/connected within a couple seconds GRUB comes up and the board boots normally without any additional interaction on my part.

I've let it sit for up to 5m before the suspense was killing me.

Any thoughts on Why bios is hanging without monitor attached? Settings to change? (afraid to disable IGD...)
    Did not have this issue in 101 (maybe 102?), noticed issue in 103 and persists in 104.

3. Snakebyte

Snakebyte Member

4. Starling

Starling New Member

Thanks Snakebyte!
    I was actually looking at this Mini DP adapter as a workaround:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0758675CJ

(19 USD for 3) (take advantage of that second miniDP)

But that doesn't explain the *why* the thing has this (mis)behavior. I would much rather have a fix than a workaround. Full documentation on the firmware images would help, there has to be a setting in there somewhere that is not exposed to the user.

5. Garret Bamsch

Garret Bamsch New Member

I had to resort to purchasing the same headless adapter that Snakebyte purchased but it irritates me that I have to use it.

6. Starling

Starling New Member

Just for those who find this in the future.
    The Mini DP adapter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0758675CJ) works. Leaving the HDMI and one other mini DP available.

I still think a fix would be better, if anyone has a lead on the documentation for the Insyde firmware, I want to dig into it and find the setting for headless operation.