Support for Intel Quick Sync? (Plex hardware transcoding)

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by TOMillr, Jun 20, 2018.

1. TOMillr

TOMillr New Member

Does anyone know whether the Intel GPU inside the Udoo X86 support hardware transcoding via Intel Quick Sync?

I'd like to turn the X86 into a small Plex Media Server and would love to be able to transcode one or two streams with it.

2. terbonium

terbonium New Member

Yes! I just purchased an Udoo board to do this after having really maxed out my Odroid. I can easily run 2-3 streams converting 1080p 10Mbs files to 1.5Mbps 480p on the fly. Sync conversions run between 6-10x real time.

Here is a screen shot of CPU usage while streaming 2 1080p video files and streaming to an iPhone and web browser.

Attached Files:

gracylayla likes this.
  3. TOMillr

TOMillr New Member

Do you have the equipment to do a test on power consumption when the Plex server is idle?

4. terbonium

terbonium New Member

I do, I will throw a amp meter on it this Monday and report back. Based on thermal profile (finger on heat sink), the power usage is low. I would venture less than 10 watts? But I'll post back with some real data.

waltervl likes this.
  5. TOMillr

TOMillr New Member

Did you get a chance to run some test? I'm mostly interested in power consumption during idle, as the PMS is not being used most of the time.

6. terbonium

terbonium New Member

No not yet.. There are other reports of power usage while idle.. While PMS is running and there is no streaming, load average is near 0.

7. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

8. TOMillr

TOMillr New Member

Btw, which version of the Odroid did you use? How was your experience running Plex on that device?