How to install vivante on Debian minimal?!

Discussion in 'Debian' started by pires100, Dec 6, 2013.

1. pires100

pires100 New Member

Hi

I managed to install xbmc successfully on Debian minimal using XBMC packages from http://debian.oppserver.net/debian/. When I tried to run xbmc it wouldnt start and gave me this error...

/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
    warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
    Error: unable to open display
    /usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:69: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
    window = gtk.Window(gtk.WINDOW_TOPLEVEL)
    /usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:69: Warning: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
    window = gtk.Window(gtk.WINDOW_TOPLEVEL)
    /usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:83: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
    button = gtk.Button("Quit")
    /usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:83: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
    button = gtk.Button("Quit")
    /usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: Screen for GtkWindow not set; you must always set
    a screen for a GtkWindow before using the window
    window.show_all ()
    /usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_pango_context_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
    window.show_all ()
    /usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_font_description: assertion `context != NULL' failed
    window.show_all ()
    /usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_base_dir: assertion `context != NULL' failed
    window.show_all ()
    /usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_language: assertion `context != NULL' failed
    window.show_all ()
    /usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_new: assertion `context != NULL' failed
    window.show_all ()
    /usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_text: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
    window.show_all ()
    /usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_alignment: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
    window.show_all ()
    /usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_ellipsize: assertion `PANGO_IS_LAYOUT (layout)' failed
    window.show_all ()
    /usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_single_paragraph_mode: assertion `PANGO_IS_LAYOUT (layout)' failed
    window.show_all ()
    /usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_width: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
    window.show_all ()
    /usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_get_extents: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
    window.show_all ()
    /usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_attributes: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
    window.show_all ()
    /usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_screen_get_default_colormap: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
    window.show_all ()
    /usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_colormap_get_visual: assertion `GDK_IS_COLORMAP (colormap)' failed
    window.show_all ()
    /usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_screen_get_root_window: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
    window.show_all ()
    /usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_window_new: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (parent)' failed
    window.show_all ()

...I assume this is just a result of Vivante drivers not being installed in Debian minimal image?
    How do i get those installed?! Please Help!

2. matthias

matthias New Member

did you try to start xbmc from a ssh-terminal?

i tried the same thing yesterday - on the terminal i got these errors (or at least most of them...) - but then, starting it from within lxde, it was working (actually VERY slow - but at least started without errors)

edit: i was using the following method: http://www.deb-multimedia.org/ - just adding the repo and downloading it with apt-get install xbmc

3. pires100

pires100 New Member

LXDE Doesnt come installed in the Debian minimal image tho?...or am I mistaken?...you were prob using the other debian image available in downloads with LXDE in it?

I tried installing xbmc using that debian image and i never managed a successful install :(

4. matthias

matthias New Member

well - actually i made the debian myself using this guide: http://www.elinux.org/UDOO_Installing_D ... ebootstrap

however - the errors you're getting are the same ones that i got (basically can't find display ...)
    maybe you could try to install lxde, and start it from there?

5. pires100

pires100 New Member

I see I see. I will definitely try that. So just to clarify... you're using the armhf Debian minimal image for your install of xbmc as well? and you also simply installed LXDE ontop of it like I am going to do to try your suggestion out?...or did you install XBMC on the armel debianLXDE image?

I tried the http://www.deb-multimedia.org/ repos when I first tried installing XBMC on the Ubuntu Udoo image and debianlxdequad images which never resulted in a successful install. Then after I had installed the armhf minimal image I discovered the http://debian.oppserver.net/debian/ repos and gave them a go instead(just for fun) and they installed successfully.

I will give the LXDE suggestion a try asap

6. matthias

matthias New Member

as i said - I'm not using one of the images from the forum at all.
    i did the debootstrap myself (basically created the image myself).
    However, the Image I'm using is armhf, but I'm using a custom Kernel (http://down.ags131.us/ - linux-headers-3.0.35-ags131-custom+).

As i said - i got XBMC to start without errors- but it was unusable (probably because it was not supporting the GPU).
    I'll still have to look into full GPU-support - didn't really try to get it working yet.

7. pires100

pires100 New Member

ok thanks for clarification. I am relatively new to working in Linux...nevermind ARM Linux... so I am quickly learning all the terminology.